SATA Spec 3.0 Now Official; 6 Gb/sec. Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

knutjb

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
It's good to see the interface stay ahead of the storage. Since AMD was deeply involved with this development will they get to market before Intel?

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
but.. HDDs can't even reach ATA specs..
Now we will all have to move to SSDs to enjoy that speeds?

SCSI is indeed dead since SATA became popular.

If it wasn't for the low life expectancy of SSDs (when compared to HDDs) than I would jump into the new "format".

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
There really isnt even a non-PCIe SSD that's capable of current SATA2 specs. With current Sata drives, the fastest read spead I can find is 260 mb/s, which leaves quite a bit of headroom for SATA2's 384 mb/s max.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]RicardoK[/nom]If it wasn't for the low life expectancy of SSDs (when compared to HDDs) than I would jump into the new "format".[/citation]
And this is the results of being uninformed. Disk based drives in most cases will fail within 5-10 years. Most SSD's are rated to last much longer, as well as the ability to have on the fly data protection. With warranty times the often the same, there's absolutely no reason to hold off on SSD aside from costs/space requirements.

knutjb

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]if they manage to boot off of those way faster pcie ssd's, sata will go the way of the dinosaur in no time[/citation]
How big of drive can you get, how many can you fit and how much per GB/TB? For a main drive on a high end machine that might be great, for general storage there aren't enough PCIe slots since they will be competing with graphics, audio, etc...for that limited real estate. I don't see SATA going away for awhile.

adelaidean

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
There really isnt even a non-PCIe SSD that's capable of current SATA2 specs. With current Sata drives, the fastest read spead I can find is 260 mb/s, which leaves quite a bit of headroom for SATA2's 384 mb/s max.

Do you think they would have used PCIe if SATA 3.0 was available already?

and i dont see any point in any desktop hard drive to have this spec either - they barely even reach the ATA100 spec under sustained read/writes

Even those drives that don't have high sustained transfer rates but have a reasonable cache size will show small performance gains from the new interface.

Given that it's backwards compatible with previous generations, why complain and criticise - this is a good thing!

freiheitner

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Good, now can they make hot-swapping support a requirement for the spec? It's been in since the original SATA spec and still it isn't supported by all OSes or all controller cards.

G

.... wtf? Where is my 802.11n?! They keep fighting about the standards because each group wants to implement their concept (aka, make sure their draft products are compatible), but they should just agree on performance and what's scientifically best...

Robert17

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
I'd rather have the city put in larger sewer pipes ahead of developers building 1000 new units. Build it and they will come.

G

@robert17
"I'd rather have the city put in larger sewer pipes ahead of developers building 1000 new units."

Awesome analogy.

[citation][nom]knutjb[/nom]It's good to see the interface stay ahead of the storage. Since AMD was deeply involved with this development will they get to market before Intel?[/citation]

Actually Intel is more involved than you think. Intels old 845PE chipset has SATA support before AMD did and they also had SATA 2.0 as well.

I think they will both have it though.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]adelaidean[/nom]Do you think they would have used PCIe if SATA 3.0 was available already?[/citation]
Yes, yes I do. Even with Sata3.0, the PCIe interface still blows the doors off comparitavely.

And you're right. Cache memory is very speedy, and even with platter drives can take advantage of burst speeds up to 2.5-3 gb/s.

But overall, this technology should have been reserved for later. Now it's just likely to be used as marketing hype to price up motherboards, just like sata2 was.

[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]There really isnt even a non-PCIe SSD that's capable of current SATA2 specs. With current Sata drives, the fastest read spead I can find is 260 mb/s, which leaves quite a bit of headroom for SATA2's 384 mb/s max.[/citation]

Actually Intel and others have found ways to mazimize thouroghput. I thin Intel stated they were testing their new SATA 3 SSDs and was reaching near 600MB/s sustained.

We can only hope though.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Actually Intel and others have found ways to mazimize thouroghput. I thin Intel stated they were testing their new SATA 3 SSDs and was reaching near 600MB/s sustained.We can only hope though.[/citation]
Yup, deff something to look forward to.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
And even if intel can release a SSD with 600mb/s I will not go into an overpriced 128gb drive..

Flash drivers may be faster, but are waaaaay overpriced, specially if you think about the price per GB of a HDD.. If the cost of a SSD were about 2x the cost of a HDD than I would jump into the new technology..

Let's wait and see.. Or hope to see it.. :)

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]knutjb[/nom]It's good to see the interface stay ahead of the storage. Since AMD was deeply involved with this development will they get to market before Intel?[/citation]
I have a feeling this is why we have not seen the 800 series AM3 motherboards yet... I hope Intel integrates this into the P55.. they probably won't unless AMD offers it with their 800 series mobos.

Status
Not open for further replies.