[SOLVED] SATA SSD For Gaming - Samsung 870 QVO vs Western Digital Blue 3D

Sep 4, 2021
I am currently have a SATA 4 TB WD Blue mechanical HDD that my Steam library is stored on.
I am looking to upgrade to a SATA SD for the puropse of improving load times. I have come down to two choices (mostly driven by cost):

• Samsung 870 QVO 4TB (QLC) $469 AUD
  • Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 4TB (TLC) $539 AUD

The difference in price is reasonably significant. I do note that as a QLC drive, the QVO will wear out faster. Additionally, the QVO has a smaller cache therefor the speeds will tank quickly once file transfer exceed a certain size.
The WD has subtly lower transfer speeds but as TLC it will last longer. It also does not seem to suffer from speed tanks for large file transfer like the QVO does.

From a gaming prospective, I dont see the QVO as a bad choice as you are more relying on read speeds. BUT, I do find it hard to ignore its significant performance issue once that cache is hit or overall less endurance the drive has (due to QLC).

Any thoughts or alternate suggestions?

Sep 4, 2021
Out of those 2, the Blue.

I'd like to also suggest looking up the Mx500 and Sandisk Ultra's pricing.

I went with the WD Blue SSD. The more a read about QLC the more it seemed like a poor choice. Far less endurance, speeds drop to below mechanical HDD rates when cache is full, performance drops significantly at 80% capacity. And the warranty is 3 years instead of 5. Spending the extra cash seems well worth avoiding all of this.

Thanks