Question SATA SSD Not powering on?

Ueki23

Commendable
May 21, 2020
I recently just upgraded my PC. While everything else seems to be working fine, I have noticed that my SATA SSDs are not powering up at all. I have tried switching ports and cables (both the PSU cable and the MSI sata cable that came with), still my BIOS says "SATA PORT Not Present". I connected the SSDs to my laptop and they all worked fine. I don't have any NVME or M.2 connected at all. I also noticed that when I unplugged the SATA cable from the PSU, the case fans stopped working. I'm wondering if this might be a motherboard issue at all or have I been stupid and connected it wrong.

PC specs:
CPU: Intel 13600k
GPU: GTX 1080ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z690 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
COOLER: Noctua DH-15
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
CASE: Fractal Meshify 2

Ueki23

Commendable
May 21, 2020
Did you upgrade PSU also?
Was old PSU modular?
Did you replace all the modular cables from old PSU ?

Using wrong modular PSU cables can kill/damage hardware connected.

Yep, upgraded to modular and used the cables it came with.
I am... a very very big idiot though. I've fixed it. I realised the freaking SATA power cables itself wasn't connected to the DRIVES and only to the CASE plug with the label SATA on it which I assumed were for the drives.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
CASE plug? There's two cables needed per SATA drive. One power cable/connector from the PSU to the drive and one data cable/connectors from the drive to the SATA port.

Ueki23

Commendable
May 21, 2020
CASE plug? There's two cables needed per SATA drive. One power cable/connector from the PSU to the drive and one data cable/connectors from the drive to the SATA port.
Yep, the case plug as in the cables that control the case fans. but yeah, i realised I hadn't plugged in the power cable to the drives itself.