[SOLVED] SATA SSD showing up in SATA list but not in Boot Priority

Sep 8, 2021
Hello all,

I just built and older AMD system with a ASUS motherboard and I cannot for the life of me install windows 10 on the brand new SSD I put in the system.

The issue for me is that the SSD is recognized in the bios as a Hard Drive under the first sata port, but when I go into boot device priority, it don't show up. The only options are the USB (which I have the windows installation media on), removable device(not sure what this is), and ATAPI CD-ROM(not sure what this is either).

When I boot to the USB to try to install windows on the drive, it give me the error message, "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's bios menu. "

I have tried switching from IDE, RAID, ACHI and none of these fix the issue. I have tried basically every option in the bios too and nothing seems to fix the issue. I'm at a loss. I really want to get this computer running, but I can't figure it out.

Please help!

Hardware:
Asus M5A778L-M/USB3 (latest bios is installed from asus website here https://www.asus.com/supportonly/m5a78lmusb3/HelpDesk_BIOS/)
AMD FX 6300
SK hynix Gold S31 500GB SATA Gen3 2.5 inch Internal SSD 500GB
HyperX 8gb DDR 3
EVGA GTX 950
Gigabyte p450b

Solution
I have tried switching from IDE, RAID, ACHI and none of these fix the issue.
Set sata controller to AHCI (not IDE and not RAID).
Clean the drive before installing windows onto it. Use diskpart clean method. Press Shift+F10 during installation to open command prompt.

delete-clean-partition-diskpart-windows10.jpg

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
Make sure it's not hidden. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard - in particular the "down" key.

Failing that, in the BIOS make sure that SecureBoot is turned off while CSM is turned on.

Sep 8, 2021
I am not sure what you mean by hidden. I did not see anything about CSM or secure boot specifically.

Also, I have a 3rd master hard disk error before loading up into the bios.

Sep 8, 2021
I still get the error message after doing diskpart method.

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's bios menu. "

Should I try to clone my current desktop and then do a fresh windows install afterwards?

Sep 8, 2021
you have to do some migrating stuff so that it boots on it, I think there's yt vids on it

I have the ability to clone a hard drive with windows on it then do a fresh install of windows. I am hesitant to do this mostly due to the time requirement with this option. I will keep you updated if I wind up trying this option.

Sep 9, 2021
I have the ability to clone a hard drive with windows on it then do a fresh install of windows. I am hesitant to do this mostly due to the time requirement with this option. I will keep you updated if I wind up trying this option.
good luck! (also your ssd needs to be bigger than your hard drive to migrate and boot on it, so that could be a problem in the future)

Sep 8, 2021
Is the SSD being detected in windows setup?
Can you show photo of the error? (upload imgur.com and post link)
The SSD does show up in the windows 10 installation process and it allows me to format and delete partitions, but it won't let me download windows 10 onto it and it says need to enable the drive in the bios.

Try creating necessary partitions manually.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
clean
convert mbr
create partition primary size=500
format fs=ntfs quick
active
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
If there are any errors, then show screenshot of command output.

If all is good, then proceed to installing windows.

Sep 8, 2021
I got the partitions created, but it made the partion 500MB and I got the bios error message and that the partition is too small and that the hard drive was not enabled in the bios again (see pictures for messages.

Sep 8, 2021
I tried that as well, but the same windows error I had initially pops up.

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's bios menu. "