Question SATA SSD sometimes isn't recognized on boot.

miladed

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Hi, I have this extremely weird and random problem with my SSD where it is sometimes not recognized on boot.
Here are my specs:

*Ryzen 5 2600 (No OC)
*MSI B450M Pro-VDH Plus
*4x8GB of XPG Z1 DDR4 3000 MHz RAM
*RX580 8GB @1370/2150 MHz
*Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
*1TB and 500GB Seagate HDDs
*Highpower Astro GD+ 850 watt 80+G PSU
*Windows 10 Pro x64, Kubuntu 20.10 (dual-booting)
*Latest BIOS (that still supports Ryzen 2000)

I only recently started to dual boot Kubuntu and Windows, but this problem happened before that too. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no pattern to this issue whatsoever. For example, it happened after about 1 month of working fine yesterday, before that, it had happened several times in a week.

Other things I need to add about the SSD, it's currently at 94% health according to SMART, the issue never happens while rebooting (only from a cold start), and that I have been unable to update the firmware on it using either the Crucial software, or even using bootable disks.

I have tried different SATA cables and headers on the motherboard as well. I have occupied all my SATA headers on the motherboard and my other drives all work fine with no issues.

Is my SSD dying?

Last edited:
Hi, I have this extremely weird and random problem with my SSD where it is sometimes not recognized on boot.
Here are my specs:

*Ryzen 5 2600 (No OC)
*MSI B450M Pro-VDH Plus
*4x8GB of XPG Z1 DDR4 3000 MHz RAM
*RX580 8GB @1370/2150 MHz
*Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
*1TB and 500GB Seagate HDDs
*Highpower Astro GD+ 850 watt 80+G PSU
*Windows 10 Pro x64, Kubuntu 20.10 (dual-booting)
*Latest BIOS (that still supports Ryzen 2000)

I only recently started to dual boot Kubuntu and Windows, but this problem happened before that too. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no pattern to this issue whatsoever. For example, it happened after about 1 month of working fine yesterday, before that, it had happened several times in a week.

Other things I need to add about the SSD, it's currently at 94% health according to SMART, the issue never happens while rebooting (only from a cold start), and that I have been unable to update the firmware on it using either the Crucial software, or even using bootable disks.

Is my SSD dying?
i would try a new sata cable first before coming to that conclusion, plus port on mobo, also try a different sata power

miladed

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
i would try a new sata cable first before coming to that conclusion, plus port on mobo, also try a different sata power
Should have mentioned, but I have tried different SATA Cables and different headers on the motherboard. Also, all my SATA headers are occupied on the motherboard and none have this issue.