[SOLVED] sata ssds vs nvme for games

I recently saw a MP510 2tb for around $100 cheaper than any other nvme drives with the same capacity and wonder if I should get it.
Its only like $270 while the cheapest Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb is around $240

My current PC which i mainly use for gaming is a bit old with a 4790K on a msi z97 Gaming5 mobo
it currently has 4 sata ssds installed:
Samsung 860 evo 1tb C:
Samsung 850 evo 1tb
Crucial mx500 1tb
Samsung 850 evo 500 gb
It also has one empty m.2 which I believe is only pcie2 x2

but I plan on upgrading to either zen3 or i5 10600K later this year

So my question is when I upgrade to a more modern mobo and cpu
should I also replace the 860evo sata ssd
with something like the mp510 1920gb or the mp600 if i get zen3 with x570/b550
and then keep all 4 sata ssds for games

would the sata drives be too slow for recently released triple A games and future games?
considering the next gen consoles will have ssds that are as fast or even faster than pcie4 ssds

Solution
hmm i see that you got even more sata ssds than I do
Do you have them in RAID 0?

Well according to some online articles the new consoles may will make future games load much faster and that the current games are not really optimized for faster ssds.
Is that just another online bs?
I'd have to see hard numbers, not just online articles pondering what may happen in devices and software that is not released yet.

I have 7 SSDs, no HDD.
6x SATA III and 1x NVMe (Intel 660p). In actual use, I can tell little difference, even though the Sequential benchmark of the 660p is 3 times faster than the SATA drives.

What makes solid state drives shine over HDD is the near zero access time. In that...they are all very close.

USAFRet

Titan
No, a SATA III SSD is not "too slow" for games.

But with your proposed new hardware, and the falling prices of NVMe drives, it makes little sense to NOT get one.
You won't notice any magical difference in the games, but it will be a touch faster overall.

And what is in a console has little or nothing to do with what is in a PC.

I have both a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD and a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA3 SSD, both are used for games only (I have a smaller 500GB 970 EVO PLus NVMe for the OS).

I am completely unable to notice any differences at all between the way the games launch and run from the 970 EVO Plus vs. the 860 EVO - even when launching and playing the same type of games.

The load times feel similar, the overall performance feels the same. So in my opinion, if you don't neccessarily need another SSD for your games, but could keep using the 860 EVO you currently own, you might as well spend the money on actual performance upgrades with your new build instead.

I you do need a new SSD for games, I completely agree with what USAFRet said in the post above

EDIT :
I should clarify my post is only concerning gaming performance.

Also, both drives benchmarks close to their advertised speeds. According to Samsung Magician, the NVMe drive reaches exactly 3500 MB/s read speed, and the 860 EVO tops out at 557 MB/s, using the built-in benchmark.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
hmm i see that you got even more sata ssds than I do
Do you have them in RAID 0?

Well according to some online articles the new consoles may will make future games load much faster and that the current games are not really optimized for faster ssds.
Is that just another online bs?
I'd have to see hard numbers, not just online articles pondering what may happen in devices and software that is not released yet.

I have 7 SSDs, no HDD.
6x SATA III and 1x NVMe (Intel 660p). In actual use, I can tell little difference, even though the Sequential benchmark of the 660p is 3 times faster than the SATA drives.

What makes solid state drives shine over HDD is the near zero access time. In that...they are all very close.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS