Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I have an ATA 100 HDD that plugs into an IDE slot.
If i buy an SATA HDD will i be able to attach it to the ATA as a slave and use it with an IDE slot without an adaptor?
Thank You.

Oh, and does anyone know what cables and stuff ill need to hook it up?

It's common sense..... (I love this analogy) think back to when you were really young. Playing those matching games..... putting square blocks into square holes. Now unless i'm mistaken (or unless someone cheated and whipped out the hacksaw), you were never able to put a square block into a round hole.

But to answer your question, yes, there are SATA/IDE adapters available, and they are listed below:

Syba Adapter

Sabrent Adapter.... another one from Sabrent

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
It's common sense..... (I love this analogy) think back to when you were really young. Playing those matching games..... putting square blocks into square holes. Now unless i'm mistaken (or unless someone cheated and whipped out the hacksaw), you were never able to put a square block into a round hole.

But to answer your question, yes, there are SATA/IDE adapters available, and they are listed below:

Syba Adapter

Sabrent Adapter.... another one from Sabrent

Just to confirm, im talking abt an adaptor to put a tiny SATA into a big IDE/ATA and not the other way around (wich i know is possible).

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
The question is: why would you want to do this? PATA isn't noticeably slower than SATA, and the drives are effectively equal in all other respects. Are you trying to future-proof your machine?

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
IF you succed in plugging an IDE cable in a SATA drive without an adater, them you'll win the Nobel!
Just think, yuse your brain if you have one! They are two completely different interrfaces and two completely different connectors: so how you can do it without an adapter?
There are of course several adapters, just search NewEgg or similar fot them.

Actually it is.... even though sata drives still don't achieve over 100MB/s of actual data throughput, they are still faster than pata drives...

But honestly, I would just get a new board with a couple sata ports on it, unless the OP has a board that's so old it uses something like Socket 370, or Slot 1

TRENDING THREADS