SATA to now PCI-E? SSDs

dj2b4life

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Hey guys

So my last build was in 2014 December. Im' in the process of building 2 new rigs for my office, and I'm learning just now of all this new technology. Particularly of SATA now being obsolete and PCI-E being the main way to connect SSDs?

Please advise. Do I need to worry about this stuff, or should I simply build my PC with the regular Samsung Evos, etc (SATA3).

bitwright

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
SSDs that connect to the PCI-E bus via either a PCI-E slot or an M.2 port are faster than SSDs that connect via SATA, since SATA is capped at 6.0gbps and can't make use of the new NVME storage protocol. However, PCI-E SSDs are also more expesive than SATA SSDs, so SATA isn't quite obsolete yet; there are still new SATA based SSDs coming out.

Long story short, if you are willing to spend a bit extra for a faster SSD then get yourself a motherboard with an M.2 slot and an SSD that connects via M.2 and supports NVME (note: just because it connects via M.2 does not mean it supports NVME, so keep an eye out for that). If SATA SSDs are fast enough for you, and you're more worried about keeping cost down than having the ultimate, fastest parts available, then go with a SATA based drive.

dj2b4life

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Hey guys

Thanks so much for your info.

My use is for Photoshop / Designing. I should have mentioned that (we are a designing, marketing, and printing company).

Does this affect any of your answers?

Nope. Go with some Evos and use the saved cash to give your peoples all the RAMs.