[SOLVED] SATA to SFF-8643 (or U.2 port)

Sep 28, 2022
Hello guys !

I would like to use my Asus B85M-G with a Silverstone CS381 tower I just bought. I use a 4xSATA to SFF-8643 and connected the 4x SATA 6GB/s of my motherboard to the SFF-8643 of the Silverstone CS381, but the drives are not detected. Am I doing something wrong ? Or it is not possible to do so...

Thank you for your help

Sep 28, 2022
Thank you for your answer ! Yes I start to understand that I did not understand it at all... :LOL: I misunderstood the info of the tower where it says you can connect with SFF-8643 without knowing that it was not a distribution board from 4 SATA...

I'm using WD Red HDD. I modified the tower to be able to connect directly to the HDD (SATA of MOB to SATA of HDD) so I can have my server working but I loose all the interest of this tower... I guess my best option would be to change my MOB to a new one with 2x U.2 ports... I found some PCi adapter to that but they are almost the same price than a motherboard

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022
The tower SilverStone has a U.2 port which allows to do hot swapping. I wanted to use this functionality because I have 8x HDD for my server and I need to change them sometimes when one failed, so this feature would have be really appreciated.

The reference of the tower here

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
The tower SilverStone has a U.2 port which allows to do hot swapping. I wanted to use this functionality because I have 8x HDD for my server and I need to change them sometimes when one failed, so this feature would have be really appreciated.

The reference of the tower here
How often do your drives fail, for this to be a real concern?

Sep 28, 2022
How often do your drives fail, for this to be a real concern?
Yes you're right it's only happening once maybe every 2 years, but I broke a SATA connection of a HDD when changing it few weeks ago and my server is from 2014... So I wanted to do some small upgrade

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS