Question SATA vs NVMe real life speeds

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
While researching parts for a new system, I have read that in most applications/environments (perhaps except real time video editing) there will not be any noticeable improvement in performance with an NVMe drive over a SATA III.

Is this true? In my particular situation I will be using Adobe Lightroom. Please explain why......

Thanks for clearing this up.

Nvme is faster than SSD - both in real world and theortical.
Nvme is better on your motherboard, because of the way it is connected and if you get one like an 970 Evo that is fast enough. If you upgrade to the PRO which is theoretically faster, it will make zero difference.

SSD to nvme is not a lot better, but it is better. I'd always go Nvme if I can, just because one less slot used in the case/cabling. I must admit though, I thigh the M2 slots should be more like a stick of ram and slot in, because they always manage to put it under the GPU so they get hot and slow down.

kanewolf

Titan
It is mainly because the change from HDD to SSD has already removed most of the I/O delays. So the difference between 500MB/s and 1500MB/s is much less than the difference between HDD and SSD. IF you have a 1000 files that you run a scripted process on, then the fractions of a second can add up to real time savings. If you edit a few files the delta is insignificant. If the cost delta isn't high, then there is generally no downside to an NVMe if your motherboard supports it.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the replies!

For my particular application: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, i7-8700K I planned on the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB drive for W10 and application.

I had read that they tend to get hot given the location; what would you suggest?

I have the PRO in my computer and I regret buying it, when an EVO would have just been as good. Now they got the Evo Plus which is really nice.
You can always buy a heat spreader, which is what I did, but tbh I don't think it makes a huge difference, unless you can get more air blowing on it.
But I do think you are making the correct choice with what you have.