[SOLVED] SATA vs PCI Express NVME Question

Jun 7, 2021
Hi everyone.

I've just bought a new i5 11400 cpu with an Asrock motherboard which has a PCI Express 4.0 x16 and x1 slot. I have 4x SATA ports for drives but I have a NVME drive I've decided I'd like to reuse in this machine - will a PCI Express x1 slot be faster than the SATA ports in this case?

Board is a Asrock H510-HVS

Thanks,

Solution
Hi everyone.

I've just bought a new i5 11400 cpu with an Asrock motherboard which has a PCI Express 4.0 x16 and x1 slot. I have 4x SATA ports for drives but I have a NVME drive I've decided I'd like to reuse in this machine - will a PCI Express x1 slot be faster than the SATA ports in this case?

Thanks,
They will be approximately equal. A SATA port uses the equivalent of one PCIe 3.0 lane.
It is interesting that your motherboard doesn't have an M.2 slot. I guess it is because there isn't enough space. But some motherboards put an M.2 on the backside...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi everyone.

Thanks,
They will be approximately equal. A SATA port uses the equivalent of one PCIe 3.0 lane.
It is interesting that your motherboard doesn't have an M.2 slot. I guess it is because there isn't enough space. But some motherboards put an M.2 on the backside...

Solution
Jun 7, 2021
Cheers. I didn't know if it would be faster with it being PCIe 4.0. I knew it didn't have an M.2 when I purchased it as it was originally going to be a server but I've decided to make it my gaming PC instead of my 8th gen i5. I have an NVME in the 8th gen but I'm sure its on the SATA controller so is pegged back.

Jun 7, 2021
The x1 slot is wired with PCI-e3.0 from the chipset.

NVME doesn't work on the SATA conroller. What make and model is your current ssd and motherboard?
Its an Acer Orion PO3-600. It just doesn't seem very quick and I've had the same M.2 drive in an older alienware which seemed much faster IO wise. It might be the crappy Acer motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts