SATA Win XP boot conflict

Mike

Splendid

I recently purchased a second SATA drive for my comp. The
original config had me booting from a SATA drive and using
an IDE drive as my secondary for extra space. My new config
was to be the SATA1 as boot and SATA2 as my extra storage
(both nonraid) and i want to remove the IDE drive
When booting with the SATA1 as primary hdd and SATA2 2nd
IDE 3rd, Windows gives me a hard drive config error and
resufses to boot, but when the config is SATA1, IDE, SATA2,
win xp will boot but hangs before loading. I also recieve
the same error when i remove the IDE drive and try to boot
with two independent SATA drives (which i heard is hard,
but its what i want :)) The SATA driver and raid controller
are both working and installed, the SATA1 drive is my C:
drive which win xp was installed onto. Also the comp wont
boot with only my SATA1 drive in it, and having both drives
boot from a raid does not work either...

Thanks for any help

First, and most important. Your first SATA drive with XP must be
connected to the SAME motherboard connector as it was when XP was
installed. You cannot change to a different one. Try hooking up the
SATA drive with XP to the other MB connector and see if it boots up
properly. If it gives the new SATA drive Drive 0 and the old SATA drive
Drive 1, you will have to do a repair install to get it set right (if
you can't change it in the BIOS). Finally, I highly recommend trying to
set these up in RAID as it will greatly benefit you. You are not going
to get the full speed of SATA unless you use RAID. Your SATA drive's
alone are no faster than your IDE drive. It is when you connect them in
RAID that they can outperform IDE ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Mike wrote:
> I recently purchased a second SATA drive for my comp. The
> original config had me booting from a SATA drive and using
> an IDE drive as my secondary for extra space. My new config
> was to be the SATA1 as boot and SATA2 as my extra storage
> (both nonraid) and i want to remove the IDE drive
> When booting with the SATA1 as primary hdd and SATA2 2nd
> IDE 3rd, Windows gives me a hard drive config error and
> resufses to boot, but when the config is SATA1, IDE, SATA2,
> win xp will boot but hangs before loading. I also recieve
> the same error when i remove the IDE drive and try to boot
> with two independent SATA drives (which i heard is hard,
> but its what i want :)) The SATA driver and raid controller
> are both working and installed, the SATA1 drive is my C:
> drive which win xp was installed onto. Also the comp wont
> boot with only my SATA1 drive in it, and having both drives
> boot from a raid does not work either...
>
> Thanks for any help

Mike

Splendid

The SATA connector is in the same port as win xp was
installed on. My drive is still the drive 0 even when the
boot order is changed. And what i want to do is be able to
have my SATA1 as a freestanding drive to run windows and
some basic apps, then the majority of my apps, games, and
programs will be run from my raid setup.
The problem i am having is that with my SATA1 drive
standing alone the comp will not boot, it needs the IDE
drive in and to be set as my secondary HDD, with my SATA2
as my third drive otherwise it refuses to boot.
It also doesn't see my SATA2 drive when i do boot to
windows with the right config...

Len

Sounds like it could be a not uncommon split OS setup which I have seen with
XP. When configured so that XP will boot go to disk management and check
the drives. It is very possible that your SATA drive will say "Boot" and
your IDE drive "System" or some such split configuration.

It may be something as simple as at one point for whatever reason you choose
to put the swap file on the IDE drive. However, on other occasions it could
be more serious and to my knowledge not correctable. If this is not the
case then maybe another will have a thought.

Good Luck,
Len

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The SATA connector is in the same port as win xp was
> installed on. My drive is still the drive 0 even when the
> boot order is changed. And what i want to do is be able to
> have my SATA1 as a freestanding drive to run windows and
> some basic apps, then the majority of my apps, games, and
> programs will be run from my raid setup.
> The problem i am having is that with my SATA1 drive
> standing alone the comp will not boot, it needs the IDE
> drive in and to be set as my secondary HDD, with my SATA2
> as my third drive otherwise it refuses to boot.
> It also doesn't see my SATA2 drive when i do boot to
> windows with the right config...

dl

Using origonal o/s sata drive, unplug/disconnect new sata and ide hd,
If it no longer boots do a repair install of XP, ensuring that you use the
F6 option to install sata drivers from floppy.
Once system reboots OK, shutdown, connect new sata, reboot, once ok shutdown
connect ide reboot.
I dont understand following;
" SATA1 as a freestanding drive to run windows and
some basic apps, then the majority of my apps, games, and
programs will be run from my raid setup."
sata1 freestanding, then yr going to create a raid? using what?