SATA With ATA Secondary Drives - How to Jumper?

I'm considering buying my first SATA drive. If I have an older ATA as
a second hard drive, how do I jumper it. If I jumper it as a slave
and I have yet another ATA on the same IDE port (3 hard drives in all)
do I jumper both ATAs as slaves?

Ken

greiner

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005

That's the beauty of SATA, no jumpers to mess with. You only have one
drive, one cable. For your ATA drives, one has to be master, one has
to be slave.

Ken Hall wrote:

> I'm considering buying my first SATA drive. If I have an older ATA as
> a second hard drive, how do I jumper it. If I jumper it as a slave
> and I have yet another ATA on the same IDE port (3 hard drives in all)
> do I jumper both ATAs as slaves?

You can't have three drives of any kind on one IDE port. An SATA drive will
have its own single port and single cable and has no effect whatsoever on
the cabling or jumpering of any parallel ATA drives that might be in the
system.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:41:18 -0500, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>An SATA drive will
>have its own single port and single cable and has no effect whatsoever on
>the cabling or jumpering of any parallel ATA drives that might be in the
>system.

Then how does the system know which is the main drive -- which is the
boot drive? How does it know whether I want the master/primary on
IDE port 1 or the SATA to be the boot drive?

Ken

Ken Hall wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:41:18 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>An SATA drive will
>>have its own single port and single cable and has no effect whatsoever on
>>the cabling or jumpering of any parallel ATA drives that might be in the
>>system.
>
> Then how does the system know which is the main drive -- which is the
> boot drive? How does it know whether I want the master/primary on
> IDE port 1 or the SATA to be the boot drive?

You go into setup and specify which device to boot from. The details will
vary depending on your brand and model of machine but that's the broad
outline.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:55:08 -0500, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Ken Hall wrote:
>> Then how does the system know which is the main drive -- which is the
>> boot drive? How does it know whether I want the master/primary on
>> IDE port 1 or the SATA to be the boot drive?
>
>You go into setup and specify which device to boot from.

Got it. Thanks.

Ken

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:55:08 -0500, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Ken Hall wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:41:18 -0500, "J. Clarke"
>> <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>An SATA drive will
>>>have its own single port and single cable and has no effect whatsoever on
>>>the cabling or jumpering of any parallel ATA drives that might be in the
>>>system.
>>
>> Then how does the system know which is the main drive -- which is the
>> boot drive?

master/slave or primary/secondary channel positions never indicate the
boot drive. You can always boot to any ATA drive regardless of its
position.

>> How does it know whether I want the master/primary on
>> IDE port 1 or the SATA to be the boot drive?
>
>You go into setup and specify which device to boot from. The details will
>vary depending on your brand and model of machine but that's the broad
>outline.
>
>> Ken

Also the partition you want to boot (on a particular drive) has to be
visible, primary & active.

In addition you can boot an OS from a different device than indicated
in BIOS using special software (after briefly booting from the BIOS
specified device of course).

>Also the partition you want to boot (on a particular drive) has to be
>visible, primary & active.

The above is apparently not true either. I know that you can boot linux
from logical drives, and I have recently researched several websites
that say you can boot windows from logical partitions. I did not know
that, and have not tried it to confirm, but they sound like they know
what they are talking about.

IMF

Irwin wrote:

>>Also the partition you want to boot (on a particular drive) has to be
>>visible, primary & active.
>
> The above is apparently not true either. I know that you can boot linux
> from logical drives, and I have recently researched several websites
> that say you can boot windows from logical partitions. I did not know
> that, and have not tried it to confirm, but they sound like they know
> what they are talking about.

In all such cases the machine actually boots some program from a visible,
primary, and active partition that then loads the OS, possibly from another
partition.

--

"Curious George" <cg@email.net> wrote in message news:lqm4u0liifnascf8atauj2uvudkbleso17@4ax.com
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:55:08 -0500, "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Ken Hall wrote:

> > > Then how does the system know which is the main drive -- which is the
> > > boot drive?
>
> master/slave or primary/secondary channel positions never indicate the
> boot drive.

But they do define what the enumerating sequence will be
and how the preferred sequence will be influenced by that.

> You can always boot to any ATA drive regardless of its position.

It's not that black and white.
The bootsequence option will have to support your "any" possible combination.
It it is not supported you will have to reposition the drives or exclude
one/some from BIOS inclusion or deactivate bootsectors until the preferred
sequence matches that of your choice.

On 10 Jan 2005 18:29:07 -0800, "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>Also the partition you want to boot (on a particular drive) has to be
>>visible, primary & active.
>
>The above is apparently not true either. I know that you can boot linux
>from logical drives, and I have recently researched several websites
>that say you can boot windows from logical partitions. I did not know
>that, and have not tried it to confirm, but they sound like they know
>what they are talking about.
>
>IMF

I guess I'm becoming an old fart. As I recall there was a time this
was not the case (or maybe I was led to believe it was not the case
when I was toying with Linux and multiboot like mid-'90s. (I never
thought of trying to install to anything other than pri parts before
that.) I've never revisited the issue because it only really applies
to the most extreme multiboot scenarios of which I see no value or
from great sloppiness in partitioning while resisting using modern
partitioning tools which is equally silly.

IIRC with regard to booting to partitions the waters are a little
muddy. Sometimes the boot loader is located in the MBR of Drive 0 and
sometimes requires use of a primary partition. So running an OS in an
extended parition of disk 3, for example, doesn't necessarily mean the
BIOS didn't direct a boot to something else first.

I'm glad you brought this up. It might just be curious enough now to
brush up on some of these proceures/tools. (Oh, who am I kidding. I
just adore computers w' dedicated roles & virtual machines & other
virtualizing software).