I have a stable XPSP2 2.8GhzHT Intel 865PERL PC. I want to add a SATA
Maxtor 200 GB. Although enabled in BIOS, Sata is "not detected" in BIOS and
nowhere to find in the devmgr or via computer manage. Do I need a driver?
Thanks for any advise

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Their should be drivers on the CD for the motherboard for SATA; install
them.

"Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
>I have a stable XPSP2 2.8GhzHT Intel 865PERL PC. I want to add a SATA
>Maxtor 200 GB. Although enabled in BIOS, Sata is "not detected" in BIOS
>and nowhere to find in the devmgr or via computer manage. Do I need a
>driver?
> Thanks for any advise

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:11:41 +0200, "Andre De Clercq"
<andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote:

>I have a stable XPSP2 2.8GhzHT Intel 865PERL PC. I want to add a SATA
>Maxtor 200 GB. Although enabled in BIOS, Sata is "not detected" in BIOS and
>nowhere to find in the devmgr or via computer manage. Do I need a driver?
>Thanks for any advise

You state that this drive isn't showing in BIOS, then wonder why it
doesn't show up in Windows?

This is a problem with your BIOS and not XP.

Some more info:
My PC also has a PCI Highpoint Hpt366 Ultra DMA controller board installed.
No disks connected however. It shows up in the Devmgr under SCSI and RAID
controllers. Could this interfere with my (single)SATA detection problem?
"Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
>I have a stable XPSP2 2.8GhzHT Intel 865PERL PC. I want to add a SATA
>Maxtor 200 GB. Although enabled in BIOS, Sata is "not detected" in BIOS
>and nowhere to find in the devmgr or via computer manage. Do I need a
>driver?
> Thanks for any advise

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Remove it and see what happens.

> Some more info:
> My PC also has a PCI Highpoint Hpt366 Ultra DMA controller board
> installed. No disks connected however. It shows up in the Devmgr under
> SCSI and RAID controllers. Could this interfere with my (single)SATA
> detection problem?
> "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
>>I have a stable XPSP2 2.8GhzHT Intel 865PERL PC. I want to add a SATA
>>Maxtor 200 GB. Although enabled in BIOS, Sata is "not detected" in BIOS
>>and nowhere to find in the devmgr or via computer manage. Do I need a
>>driver?
>> Thanks for any advise

frodo

The 865 has several bios settings that control how the IDE and SATA ports
map. You basically want it to be set to "Enhanced Mode". In that mode the
IDEs are removed from the (internal) PCI Bus and are on dedicated channels
of the 865 (a good thing), and map as IDE 1 (Master+Slave) and IDE 2 M+S,
with SATA ports 1 and 2 mapped as IDE 3 (Master only) and IDE 4 (Master
only). Once these settings are correct the BIOS should see and report on
your new HD. [Enhanced mode is the only way to get all 6 drive ports
available].

You STILL need to install the Intel Drivers for the ICH5 tho, before
windows will see the drive; these should have come in a floppy w/ your
system, or go to intel to get them:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=961&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21

[this link is for version 3.5, which was last for ICH5; newer version 5
supports ICH5/6/7, but 3.5 was smaller and works fine w/ 865 systems.]

You need these drivers even if you don't set it up as RAID.

At that point it should show up in Disk Manager and you can partition and
format it.