Yorkie1950

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Hi I have a Dell PowerEdge Server running Windows Server 2003, I have 3 SATA drives installed and all three have worked fine for more than two years, now for some reason Windows doesn't see the third drive, the BIOS sees it, the Dell Diagnostics sees it, DOS sees it, and the Windows Device Manager sees it but only as a Foreign Drive and will not access it. The drive it fine as I have moved it to the second drive position and it works fine, I have also removed the second drive and the third SATA port sees the drive fine, the problem is only there when all three drives are present.
Any ideas greatfully recieved.

Alan

So is the issue when ANY third drive is installed in any order?

so drive 1-2-3 in sata port 1-2-3 are no good, is drive 1-2-3 in ports 2-1-3 good or something? Do drives 1-2 alone work fine? 1-3? 2-3?

Maybe try new sata cables?

Yorkie1950

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Hi Many thanks for your reply, yes it is when any third drive is there, it doesn't matter which ports I use and and I have moved the cables around and tried new ones. the strange thing is that it has worked fine for two years and if I open, My Computer the the third drive is missing, however if I go to Properties, Hardware it is there..then try properties on the third drive, I get the message "This Device is working Properly" so I go to Volumes and Populate, I get a Status of "Foreign" and nothing else..
I am totally stumped by this one.

A