SATA2 Drives not showing plz help

kudz

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Hi There,

iv installed 2 sata2 Seagate Barracuda 500GB drives in my pc and i cant see them on vista x64.
i have checked and they are showing on the BIOS and are also showing in the controlpanel device manager. this says they are working fine

have i done something wrong when putting them in?

spec
Asus Striker Extreme with latest BIOS update
Coolermaster M630 power
Vista x64

thanks in advance
John

kudz

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
its sorted now

i had to go into disk management and create a partition andformat

thanks

myriad46

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Are these brand new drives? If so, I have had to go into storage management (Right-click on My Computer and select manage; click through the options on the right for storage...etc)

You'll eventually get a graphical list (bar chart) of all of the drives attached to the system. If they are unformatted, even before you can format them, you'll need to right click on the drive letter area of the drive (far left; not the part that shows the partition info) and choose to initialize it. Sorry if the details are fuzzy, I am at work and can't pull up that option (not an admin). I will double check when I go home and update.

Hope that helps.

kudz

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
i also notice there is a humming noise coming from the case , wasnt there before installing the hdd's, its a hum that gets louder and the quieter and keeps repeating this