Satanic red mice

G

Hi,

First off, I'm not a wacky fundamentalist who thinks mice are the devil... I just don't like glowing red distractions, and as such, I'll warn all of you to stay away from all optical mice unless you know they don't bother you. My thoughts on the matter:

Currently I use a mechanical mouse, and I dislike its imprecision, need for cleaning, etc. However, I bought an optical mouse - Logitech - and their use of gimmicky bright red LEDs and a translucent case lit up my room. I had been avoiding Microsoft's mice because they have large, prominent red LEDs on the back and sides for no good reason. While this is OK for HardOCP people who like to OOH and AAH about bright flashy things, and put neon lights on their case, quality is my top priority. As such, I use my computer in a dark-as-possible room for ideal contrast, and a mouse that illuminates the room a hellish red is distracting and, well, worthless. Fortunately I was able to sell it to someone else.

Having a flying-saucer looking thing on my mousepad as I try to watch a movie in a dark room is ridiculous. Mouse LEDs are typically 20 times as bright as those on monitors and cases (subjective), and of course, mice move; it is fundamental to the human brain that static objects can be filtered out but motion cannot, for evolutionary reasons concerning survival, hunting, and predators (hence, this should be a problem to anyone who uses a computer in a dark room and has a working brain). Most importantly, it is not really possible to determine if this (being glowy) is a problem at the store - the Microsoft mice are obviously bad, with LED's all over and clear red sides, but the Logitech mouse I bought looked opaque - and I couldn't plug it in at a store to test it.

So I would really appreciate including this in mouse reviews... and by the way... a common misconception is that mice need bright red LEDs all over the place because they are optical. In actuality, infrared LEDs could easily be used; but if the company is incapable of designing an optical sensor to pick up infrared wavelengths (despite the fact that TV remotes have used them for years) then it is easy to simply make the mouse opaque and put a single red LED on the bottom center.

-SaberCherry

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Yeah, I hate the glowing mice too. Sometimes when it's 2 in the morning and I don't want my parents to find out I'm up, I turn off teh lights, but with a freakish red glow, it just looks scary.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Bro, whatever you're smoking...stay away.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This guy is crazy as a bag full of [-peep-]-house rats in an industrial wood chipper. Can you imagine what he'd do if you shined a flashlight in his eyes? He'd go into some kind of primal mode and try to rip out your throat for a snack!

Maybe he's secretly epileptic. Remember the Andromeda Strain? ;-)

It only goes to show, you shouldn't smoke dope dipped in opium, and watch The Matrix in a really dark room, all at the same time. You might get fixated on the monstrously hellish glow coming from your optical mouse, and become really anal while thinking about Darwinian evolution, hunting, and denying your deep-seated need for a good, old-fashioned Pentecostal revival meeting.

Sounds like a good buzz on a bad day, to me.

Don't be square, Saber-dude ... pass me that squiff! It's time you learned how to maintain. The ladies don't like it if you smoke a big hooter and start growling at stop lights. Go buy a Boomslang <A HREF="http://www.razerzone.com/" target="_new">http://www.razerzone.com/</A> and a pair of dark glasses and frag a little. You'll feel better in the long run, and the rest of us will be able to get on with our lives. (And bury this thread!)

Naivety is 9/10's of ignorance, but still not an acceptable character trait, no matter how much contrast your brain requires to filter out the motion-of-the-ocean.

Toejam31 (A reformed jokin', smokin' midnight toker. Life is barren. SOB!.)

<font color=red>My Satanic Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
<b><i>'Naivety is 9/10's of ignorance'</i></b>

Really? I thought lack of knowledge was 10/10's of ignorance.

Anyhoo. The guy should go cordless. My wife has a logitech optical cordless thingy, no evil red glow (I assume because it would drain the battery too quickly?)

My MS optical trackball does glow, and I kinda like it. But if it started to drive me crazy (mentioning no names, saber) I guess I'd open up the case and disconnect the LED.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Problem is teh mice (expecially the microsoft ones as my friend has one) really do make teh room red when the lights are off, and when u alone in the house and it's 12:00 at night, it's kinda creepy. The Andromeda Strain was a great book!

If it's working...overclock it!