Save Open Dialog box View

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whenever I go to open files (alright, almost always) I like to view the
details and then sort by date modified. I hate that every time I go to
File|Open in an application I have to reselect the view and sort. Is
there any way to make "Details" view permanent? The sort is less
important (it is one click).

michaeljc70@hotmail.com wrote:
> Whenever I go to open files (alright, almost always) I like to view
> the details and then sort by date modified. I hate that every time I
> go to File|Open in an application I have to reselect the view and
> sort. Is there any way to make "Details" view permanent? The sort is
> less important (it is one click).

This cannot be done natively in XP.
You can accomplish what you want with a third party program. See the
following link.

File-Ex
http://www.file-ex.com/welcome.html

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

The Sort part can be done. Close a folder window with the sort you want by Ctrl + the X on titlebar.

It MUST be done in a file folder (not My Computer or other special folders). This sets the system default sort. Nearly everything else but dialogs have their own sort setting that overrides the system default.

http://www.uscricket.com

David Candy wrote:
> The Sort part can be done. Close a folder window with the sort you
> want by Ctrl + the X on titlebar.
>
> It MUST be done in a file folder (not My Computer or other special
> folders). This sets the system default sort. Nearly everything else
> but dialogs have their own sort setting that overrides the system
> default.

Thanks, David

That does work here, is this something new? I thought everything had been
tried?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

AnyMouse

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Realizing this to be an older post, I am still in pursuit of a fix to this frustration.
Please elaborate on this method.
I have set FOLDER OPTIONS to "Remember each folder's view settings." Then I configured a Folder(My Documents) to display Details, in the following order: Name, Date Created, Type, Size, Date Modified.
I arranged these columns to only show a little of Type and Size and enough of date created to reveal that info, with the majority of the space allotted to Name.
I clicked Apply to All Folders then Okay to close Folder Options.
Upon Viewing the modified folder(My Documents) in the "Save As"/"Open" file dialog box the default view exists unchanged. Even the order of files in the default LIST view is unchanged.

annmartinson

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
worked for me ... and this is terrific!
I was in Photoshop, did the Open File dialog, sorted it the way I wanted (details, alphabetical by name). hit ctrl + X to close the dialog box. it took a minute or so. then I opened it again and everything except My Pics (forced default thumbnail view) works great! ordered by name, details view. love it! thanks

gerrycrumbley

Honorable
Apparently you have to do this in each program. I did it in WordPerfect (sort and Details view), but when I went to MS Word it didn't hold. I then did it in MS Word and it held.

Get to the Open or Save box, right click to set the Sort Order, Click the Views box, set your preference view (mine is Details), then hold Ctrl and hit X. Nothing happens on screen, but it does work. Close out the programs and re-open. Wah-La!