[SOLVED] Save Win 10 for me! How do I transfer new Win10 on SSD to a different SSD?

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I bought a reconditioned Dell desktop for my Dad (that he desperately needs!) and it comes with Win 10 Pro on a Kingston 256 SSD. He wants his new Dell computer to have his Win8 and all his programs/passwords/files from his old computer to be there. So I plan on cloning his old computer's hard drive to the new computer's SSD. Of course this will format and wipe the new computer's SSD and the copy of Win 10 on it.
Yikes!
I paid for that copy of Win 10 and I'd like to use it on my next build,which will be soon,I hope.
Ideally, I would like to just get the product code from the new Dell computer and download Win10 when I am ready for it on my next build. But I have a feeling this could be a problem. It is probably an OEM version of Win 10 Pro and tied to Dad's new Dell computer (well reconditioned,but new to him).
I would really hate to lose a copy of Win10 that is bought and paid for and have to re-buy another copy.

Thanks for any replies!

Solution
First off, that WIn 10 license that came with the Dell is an OEM license, and is not transferable to new hardware.

Second, whatever Win 8 you have can't simply be cloned to a different drive and put in this Dell. Almost certainly won't work, to say nothing for the licensing issue.s

That Win 10 license belongs to that Dell. Period.

USAFRet

Titan
First off, that WIn 10 license that came with the Dell is an OEM license, and is not transferable to new hardware.

Second, whatever Win 8 you have can't simply be cloned to a different drive and put in this Dell. Almost certainly won't work, to say nothing for the licensing issue.s

That Win 10 license belongs to that Dell. Period.

Solution

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
What are you saying? I could have bought the exact same system for $55 less without an OS.

It did not say "here is a Dell recondition for $395 but the Win10 is only sorta included".

I did not see any asterisks in the ad...
**"Oh,BTW,do whatever you want want with the computer,but the Win10 belongs to us,beeech!"

hehehe :)

I'm not using the copy of Win10-that I paid for-on more than one computer.
Think about it. You bought a Toyota car. Do you also own the tires or does Toyota?

Hey,look,I appreciate the reply,and I not getting snotty,but noooo!:
"First off, that WIn 10 license that came with the Dell is an OEM license, and is not transferable to new hardware. "
----I didn't read anything about that in the ad-before they took my money. To keep the analogy going, that is like buying a brand new car and not being able to take take the spare tire and use it on another car.

"Second, whatever Win 8 you have can't simply be cloned to a different drive and put in this Dell. Almost certainly won't work, to say nothing for the licensing issue.s"
---I've done this may times. You simply have to tell Windows it is on new hardware. Worse case senerio (one time it happened to me) you have to call a Microsoft 800 number. Matter of minutes you are up and running. (BTW-MS doesn't get the credit it deserves for the excellent customer service).

No offense Air Force,but I think your wrong. And if you are right,some lawyers need to class-action look into this.

USAFRet

Titan
There are different varieties of Windows licenses.

You bought a PC with its included license. That is not automatically transferable to different hardware.
An OEM license that comes with a prebuilt PC like your HP is not transferable to different hardware.

A Windows license that YOU purchased is transferable, no problem. There is a difference.

You may think I'm wrong, but I've studied and researched this for years. Take that as you will.