I have Windows XP Home edition, my problem is when I want to save a photo off
the Internet I can only save 1 or 2 as jpeg. They start coming as Bitmap.I
clean out the temporary Internet files and I get the same result. I hope
there is an easy fix. The last time this happened I formatted my hard drive
to fix,the problem.

Dallasdon1 wrote:
> I have Windows XP Home edition, my problem is when I want to save a photo off
> the Internet I can only save 1 or 2 as jpeg. They start coming as Bitmap.I
> clean out the temporary Internet files and I get the same result. I hope
> there is an easy fix. The last time this happened I formatted my hard drive
> to fix,the problem.

There is, to the best of my knowledge, no permanent fix. Basically,
you need to clean up your temporary Internet files. This should be done
periodically, anyway, as part of your routine PC maintenance.

Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in Proper Format
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q260650

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

This problem occurs if the Temporary Internet Files are full.

1. Start Internet Explorer
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Click the General tab.
4. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files.
5. When you are prompted to delete all temporary Internet files, click OK.

Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260650

Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810978

FAQ - Why can't I save .jpg, .gif or .png images in their original format
in Microsoft Internet Explorer?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupfaq.mspx

Why IE will only let you save as BMP:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2003/12/08/53607.aspx

More on why ie will only let you save as bmp:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2004/10/29/249742.aspx

** Resizing your Cache **
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> This problem occurs if the Temporary Internet Files are full.
>
> 1. Start Internet Explorer
> 2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> 3. Click the General tab.
> 4. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files.
> 5. When you are prompted to delete all temporary Internet files, click OK.
>
> Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260650
>
> Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810978
>
> FAQ - Why can't I save .jpg, .gif or .png images in their original
> format in Microsoft Internet Explorer?
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupfaq.mspx
>
> Why IE will only let you save as BMP:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2003/12/08/53607.aspx
>
> More on why ie will only let you save as bmp:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2004/10/29/249742.aspx
>
> ** Resizing your Cache **
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

--------------------

And if you don't want to screw around with all this, try using Thunderbird
rather than IE.

Bill

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> This problem occurs if the Temporary Internet Files are full.
>
> 1. Start Internet Explorer
> 2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> 3. Click the General tab.
> 4. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files.
> 5. When you are prompted to delete all temporary Internet files, click OK.
>
> Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260650
>
> Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810978
>
> FAQ - Why can't I save .jpg, .gif or .png images in their original
> format in Microsoft Internet Explorer?
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupfaq.mspx
>
> Why IE will only let you save as BMP:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2003/12/08/53607.aspx
>
> More on why ie will only let you save as bmp:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2004/10/29/249742.aspx
>
> ** Resizing your Cache **
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

And if you don't want to have to repeatedly delete temp files, try out Firefox
rather than IE.

Bill

TRENDING THREADS