Question Saving to E drive only

russiannick29

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Hello all,

I am running Windows 7 and I have been having storage issues recently and am trying to change hard drives, which requires me to download a program to switch everything over. However, to do this, I need to disconnect all but those two drives and for some reason when I download it to my downloads folder, the program is not there. I believe I did something a while back that makes things go to E instead of C as I was an uneducated young lass and I found the fastest solution to a full startup drive. I have no idea what it was but I am unable to save in C even if i give myself administrator permissions, all libraries folders show up in blue text (everything else shows up in black), and if I save it to downloads it goes directly to E. I have confirmed the download location is C on firefox and the actual downloads folder it shows me in file manager.

I am completely lost and appreciate all advice.

USAFRet

Titan
Please give us a clear description of what physical drives and partitions are in this system.
A screencap of your Disk Management window, please.

"I believe I did something a while back that makes things go to E instead of C as I was an uneducated young lass and I found the fastest solution to a full startup drive. "

Now..if you've somehow made some registry edits to force install everything to a different drive...this isnot good.
That is a supremely bad idea.

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
those is blue means you have compressed them , or software you were using, done it to save you a disk space ...

can you confirm : is folder redirection is sety up for some folders...
go to your c: / users / yourusername / Downloads folder, right click on it , Properties. do you see "Location" tab there , there is path written there it should be ...c: / users / yourusername / Downloads

Last edited:

russiannick29

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Please give us a clear description of what physical drives and partitions are in this system.
A screencap of your Disk Management window, please.

"I believe I did something a while back that makes things go to E instead of C as I was an uneducated young lass and I found the fastest solution to a full startup drive. "

Now..if you've somehow made some registry edits to force install everything to a different drive...this isnot good.
That is a supremely bad idea.
90% sure that is what I did....
If that is the case, is there a way to go back and fix it?

View: https://imgur.com/a/ozUovzL
(I hope this is what you meant)

russiannick29

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
those is blue means you have compressed them , or software you were using, done it to save you a disk space ...

can you confirm : is folder redirection is sety up for some folders...
go to your c: / users / yourusername / Downloads folder, right click on it , Properties. do you see "Location" tab there , there is path written there it should be ...c: / users / yourusername / Downloads
When I click on my user I have to click links and then go to downloads and when I do that it takes me to E:. When I just double click to open the downloads folder, it says it is in E:

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
your c: (main disk for os) disk is full, you couldnt save much to c;\users\username\downloads even if you force it .
you have at least working solution , what ever you did, its redirects to e: ... would be fine with me.
your disk 0 is not in use at all... you need to format it and assign letter

set your downloads folder in your browsers and torrents or whatever u use to e:\users \username \ downloads ..

USAFRet

Titan
When I click on my user I have to click links and then go to downloads and when I do that it takes me to E:. When I just double click to open the downloads folder, it says it is in E:
Do you remember how you changed this? Was it through the browser settings, or through Properties/Location?

In any case...if you're trying to do a "clone" to a new drive, you need to free up some space on the existing C drive. It will require an application that needs to be installed.

russiannick29

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
your c: (main disk for os) disk is full, you couldnt save much to c;\users\username\downloads even if you force it .
you have at least working solution , what ever you did, its redirects to e: ... would be fine with me.
your disk 0 is not in use at all... you need to format it and assign letter

set your downloads folder in your browsers and torrents or whatever u use to e:\users \username \ downloads ..
it works but the problem is certain things like drivers can't install because there's such little space left, which is why I'm trying to switch to this new SSD as a startup drive

russiannick29

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Do you remember how you changed this? Was it through the browser settings, or through Properties/Location?

In any case...if you're trying to do a "clone" to a new drive, you need to free up some space on the existing C drive. It will require an application that needs to be installed.
I think i changed all libraries to go to E through regedit because in my broswer it says it saves to C's downloads folder. My problem is because of this I can't install anything onto C, it automatically goes to E, and when i try to save onto C it says I don't have permission to save there. Even when I give myself all priveleges I still can't.