Question Saw a spark and heard a pop on my psu with no smell and pc still turned on. ( Seasonic prime tx 1000)

Aug 17, 2021
6
1
15
0
Hey guys as the title says, I recently had seen a spark and a pop occurring within my psu without a smell nor my computer turning off right after. It has been working perfectly prior to this for almost 3 months since I had purchased it in May 2021. No heavy usage, no OC , and definitely no voltage/current irregularities in my flat/building. Could it be an insect ? Is it still safe to use? Rma is a bit impossible as newegg apparently doesn't support it for international purchases and seasonic too doesn't have UAE as an option in their rma drop box for me to proceed further, although I had just sent an email. Any advice would be great and hopefully replacing it will be the very last resort as its a bit tight at the moment.

Pc specs:
Cpu : 5950x ( stock )
Cpu cooler: lian li galahad 360
Mobo: Dark Hero
Gpu: strix oc rtx 3090
Ram: 64 gb 3600 mhz cl16
Storage: 980 Pro m.2
Psu in question: Seasonic Prime Tx-1000
 
Aug 17, 2021
6
1
15
0
Already requested a RMA for it, unfortunately they do not have stock for the model I have and I have to wait. One of thr replies from seasonic mentioned that the spark and popping noise could be a blob of excess glue.. which should emit some form of smell right ?
 
Hey guys as the title says, I recently had seen a spark and a pop occurring within my psu
When did this occur?

When you turned it on with your case switch?

When you turned it on with the switch on the back of the PSU?

While you were using it?

One of thr replies from seasonic mentioned that the spark and popping noise could be a blob of excess glue.
RTV ("glue") used in PSUs is non-conductive, so this is B.S.
 
Reactions: AntonyLovric

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2014
312
20
18,865
40
Pop and a spark, my $$$ would be on capacitor failure. Unless the glue is conductive (I can't see any decent PSU company using any kind of conductive adhesive though). If you can RMA, do it. Can you see or hear any evidence? (burn marks on PCB, loose bits rolling around in the PSU?)
 
Aug 17, 2021
6
1
15
0
When did this occur?

When you turned it on with your case switch?

When you turned it on with the switch on the back of the PSU?

While you were using it?



RTV ("glue") used in PSUs is non-conductive, so this is B.S.

It occurred when the pc was on and was idle. It was so random too and I didn't expect it as it was running perfectly for the past 3 months.
I've even inspected the surrounding of the psu even the mobo and the other components within. No burnt marks nor a a burnt smell. Which made me wonder on what could had caused it and did it affect anything within.
Oh there was a crackling sound within the pc for quite sometime right after it occurred and only stopped once I had powered off the psu from its its I/O.

Sorry for the late reply, didn't get any notifs
 
Aug 17, 2021
6
1
15
0
Pop and a spark, my $$$ would be on capacitor failure. Unless the glue is conductive (I can't see any decent PSU company using any kind of conductive adhesive though). If you can RMA, do it. Can you see or hear any evidence? (burn marks on PCB, loose bits rolling around in the PSU?)
Inspected the PSU thoroughly right after the incident and there were no burnt marks, smell nor the rolling bits you had mentioned. Mobo , gpu and ram location also Inspected and no burnt marks. Pc is running normally but I had refrained from using it till the RMA arrives. RMA has been contacted and they said that it's currently out of stock and would inform me once they get one in hand to send to me.

Honestly tho I was stumped and surprised when it occurred, oh and as I mentioned to the other member above, there was a crackling noise right after the spark that sounded like it was travelling on top of my system ? And this occurred even when the pc was off. It only disappeared once I had switched off the psu from I/O.

Sorry for the late response, didn't get any notifications of sort.
 
Reactions: AntonyLovric
I believe so , yeah? DB box didn't trip during the incident
It is worth a couple of bucks to be certain.
Something like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Receptacle-Tester/5001424383?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-elc-_-bing-_-pla-_-106-_-5001424383-_-0&kpid&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&msclkid=891d7fa55168172a183b1e8b7cef710e&gclid=891d7fa55168172a183b1e8b7cef710e&gclsrc=3p.ds

The crackling sound might have been made by your speakers.
But, if you actually saw smoke coming from the psu, I would stop using it.
 
Aug 17, 2021
6
1
15
0
It is worth a couple of bucks to be certain.
Something like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Receptacle-Tester/5001424383?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-elc-_-bing-_-pla-_-106-_-5001424383-_-0&kpid&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&msclkid=891d7fa55168172a183b1e8b7cef710e&gclid=891d7fa55168172a183b1e8b7cef710e&gclsrc=3p.ds

The crackling sound might have been made by your speakers.
But, if you actually saw smoke coming from the psu, I would stop using it.
See that's the thing , didn't notice any elongated smoke trails . A flash and crackling was all I saw and heard. When I did open up the case, after things settled down, I ddnt smell anything burning nor were there smoke residues. Speakers ? Hmm no don't think so, the crackling sound made by a speaker is a bit different in comparison to the one I had heard. The one that was emitted sounded more like crawling on metal
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY