Say Goodbye to Your iPad When the Battery Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked_n_Happy

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Is it me or is Apple's philosophy of sealing in batteries inside their devices one of the reasons the tech industry is so polluting? In this day and age of environmentalism, the last thing we should do is throw away an entire device because a single component isn't performing as well as it used to.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I wish Greenpeace or other organization alike drags Apple into the court and sues them until this wasteful practice is over once and for all.

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Apple foresees that there will be a bunch of unsold iPads. A creative way to still sell them, and add to that 'sold' list. hehe.

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I doubt apple simply throws away spent iPads that are returned to them. The cost to dispose of tech waste in a legal manner these days is enough of an economic driver to make a company find ways to salvage parts from the used product. Knowing Apple, they will simply brainwash..er..market to their customers that they recycle the iPad, and you are a good person for sending it to them - but really, they will try to find a bottom of the barrel transport service who will ship the waste to another country with weaker environmental laws. Perhaps a factory that they own in Taiwan or China...

G

I doubt the devices get thrown away, more like refurbished, you pay over $100 for a refurbished model, way to go apple on creating a secondary revenue stream form an original sale, gotta applaud such business acumen! I bet the shareholders are really pleased with this news!!!

techd2

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Wait I don't see the problem here. You have a problem with the device (battery), they give you a new one. What's wrong with that? You give them USED... You get NEW.. (scratching head).. And the problem is?

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I did not expect that I would have to sync iPad to iTunes. What if I don't have iTunes (I absolutely despise iTunes)? I don't sync my laptop or netbook to anything. Is iPad nothing more than over sized iPhone?
Disappointed ...

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]CTPAHHIK[/nom]I did not expect that I would have to sync iPad to iTunes. What if I don't have iTunes (I absolutely despise iTunes)? I don't sync my laptop or netbook to anything. Is iPad nothing more than over sized iPhone? Disappointed ...[/citation]
Yes, yes it is.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]techd2[/nom]Wait I don't see the problem here. You have a problem with the device (battery), they give you a new one. What's wrong with that? You give them USED... You get NEW.. (scratching head).. And the problem is?[/citation]
Where in there does it say you get a new one? It says it will be replaced, but does not say new replacement, it might just be a refurbished one with maybe a new battery.

This is why I HATE apple they are not like they used to be now they are worse then microsoft and both are terrible. Poor product quality high fees and so much more. I much rather use Linux than to use OSX and I am a windows users, at least it is free and has cross platform compatibility.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]Parsifal57[/nom]a. You have go without your Ipad until the replacement arrives.b. You pay $100+ for the privilege of 'replacing' your battery.c. You loose all data on the Ipad, which i'm guessing unless you've backed up you have to pay apple again for the ability to re-download something you already own.Are people really this brainwashed that they regard this as 'good' customer service from Apple?This pretty much means for me the HP Slate is the way I'm going to for a device like this, it was already looking the better device and Apple just seem to go out of the way to cement that viewpoint.[/citation]

a. I'm sure this will take 6-8 weeks, right?.....
b. You pay $100 for a new battery....you haven't thought this through have you?
c. Apple TOLD you to back up your data. You'd have to be a complete moron to not have done so. Otherwise, you need to understand how this works...you merely sync with iTunes and you're done. This is not some exhaustive process.

Are you really that brainwashed that you find fault in what is nearly the same as any other type of replacement program? Good luck with that Slate when HP sends out a "tech" to help you.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Tom's copy says "send you a new one", the linked FAQ does not say new. At some point if they have refurbs available I would expect that you would receive a refurb.

It also says they won't service a "modified" unit, which I take to mean "jailbroken" or otherwise hacked.

Well, if you pay for an Apple, I guess you know nothing about PCs at all, right? At least, the vas majority of users don't (even in PCs), so I think it's not a bad policy so they don't deal with "I think I know how to do things, but actually I don't and then break my stuff".

In other words, works for dumb people.

Cheers!

Dawgsoverrebs

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]CTPAHHIK[/nom]I did not expect that I would have to sync iPad to iTunes. What if I don't have iTunes (I absolutely despise iTunes)? I don't sync my laptop or netbook to anything. Is iPad nothing more than over sized iPhone? Disappointed ...[/citation]

How could you possibly think otherwise everyday there is a new article about how this is a bloated ipod I'm sick of having to answer these questions. Its a giant ipod same features same apps twice the price. Its not a laptop a netbook macbook or really even a tablet, IT'S AN IPOD

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Naked_n_Happy[/nom]Is it me or is Apple's philosophy of sealing in batteries inside their devices one of the reasons the tech industry is so polluting? In this day and age of environmentalism, the last thing we should do is throw away an entire device because a single component isn't performing as well as it used to.[/citation]
I think you have it reversed. By doing this Apple ensures batteries do not go to the dump. I am sure they have a battery replacement centre and instead of making you wait they replace the device and re-service/recycle your old one.
What about your data, I guess you back it all up to a PC or Mac then wipe the iPad data before sending it in. Still this concept is a no go for me, too expensive, no third party batteries available for probably $29.95.
I take my old batteries to Radio Shack who takes any battery and send them in for recycling.

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Ask yourself how many people give their batteries back instead of just dumping their hardware at a local transfer station (called the dump where I live, because it's either separate the metal into a pile, and everything else goes into the pit). It's a bad idea.

Next thing you know we'll have disposable pistols too. No, Beretta says you cannot remove the clip to add more bullets. You must send the gun back and you will get a new one without all your personal data and traceable information on it.

lol the world just gets scarier everyday. just go read the comments on the ISP article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS