Say hello and wave goodbye

Hello,
I bought a Radeon 9600 xt (sapphire) a couple of months ago, i was quite
happy with it ( huge increase over my MX440) but i started getting
flickering in Games and then last Thursday, i came home to an indoor
barbecue, my card had fried :-((

I contacted my vendor, and guess what, he reckons it is not a guarantee
problem but that i have been running the card incorrectly, which i hadn´t.
Now i know thisa is not Ati´s problem but from what i gather in the forums i
have been surfinng, is that it is also not an unknown problem for Cards to
go t+ts up quite quickly. I now have a Geforce FX 5900 xt, another quantum
leap so to say. I´ve been with nvidia since my first Geforce 256 ( Asus) and
after this rather bad experience with ATI, i think i´ll stay there.

Wave goodbye

Rob

JTS

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

Who is the vendor?

"RobundConny" <vodkadrinkers@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I bought a Radeon 9600 xt (sapphire) a couple of months ago, i was quite
> happy with it ( huge increase over my MX440) but i started getting
> flickering in Games and then last Thursday, i came home to an indoor
> barbecue, my card had fried :-((
>
> I contacted my vendor, and guess what, he reckons it is not a guarantee
> problem but that i have been running the card incorrectly, which i hadn´t.
> Now i know thisa is not Ati´s problem but from what i gather in the forums
> have been surfinng, is that it is also not an unknown problem for Cards to
> go t+ts up quite quickly. I now have a Geforce FX 5900 xt, another quantum
> leap so to say. I´ve been with nvidia since my first Geforce 256 ( Asus)
and
> after this rather bad experience with ATI, i think i´ll stay there.
>
> Wave goodbye
>
> Rob

> Now i know thisa is not Ati´s problem but from what i gather in the
forums i
> have been surfinng, is that it is also not an unknown problem for
Cards to
> go t+ts up quite quickly. I now have a Geforce FX 5900 xt, another
quantum

I'm not sure I'm following you. Why _wouldn't_ this be ATI's problem?
They manufactured it and guarantee it as well. After 30 days, most
vendors won't do anything, nor should they. This is the manufacturer's
problem, as well as yours of course.

"RobundConny" <vodkadrinkers@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I bought a Radeon 9600 xt (sapphire) a couple of months ago, i was quite
> happy with it ( huge increase over my MX440) but i started getting
> flickering in Games and then last Thursday, i came home to an indoor
> barbecue, my card had fried :-((
>
> I contacted my vendor, and guess what, he reckons it is not a guarantee
> problem but that i have been running the card incorrectly, which i hadn´t.
> Now i know thisa is not Ati´s problem but from what i gather in the forums
> have been surfinng, is that it is also not an unknown problem for Cards to
> go t+ts up quite quickly. I now have a Geforce FX 5900 xt, another quantum
> leap so to say. I´ve been with nvidia since my first Geforce 256 ( Asus)
and
> after this rather bad experience with ATI, i think i´ll stay there.
>
> Wave goodbye
>
> Rob

Unfortunately stories like yours are on the increase.

I guess the problem here is that ATI has no real control over the quality of
the support end users receive.

I would suggest you contact ATI by writing to the Head Office and include
all the details and provide proof of this shoddy service, it's up to them at
the end of the day to minimise the damage done to their Brand.

blah

"Morrmar" <morrmar@myway.com> wrote in message
> > Now i know thisa is not Ati´s problem but from what i gather in the
> forums i
> > have been surfinng, is that it is also not an unknown problem for
> Cards to
> > go t+ts up quite quickly. I now have a Geforce FX 5900 xt, another
> quantum
>
> I'm not sure I'm following you. Why _wouldn't_ this be ATI's problem?
> They manufactured it and guarantee it as well. After 30 days, most
> vendors won't do anything, nor should they. This is the manufacturer's
> problem, as well as yours of course.

I think it is easy to get he wrong impression on how "common" something is
to fail on the internet. Most people get online with problems and
complaints, and usually post frequently about them, so you might end up
hearing about the same card several times instead of once.
Research shows once instance of bad news travels much further than good
news.

If I was this guy I would contact ATI directly and state his case. While
they don't make the board they do make the processor, and I am sure they get
lot's of people who fried thier card trying to overclock them claiming they
didn't, or mobo related damage.
I bet you will find plenty of ppl with a similar story in the Nvidia groups.

minotaur

RobundConny wrote:

> Hello,
> I bought a Radeon 9600 xt (sapphire) a couple of months ago, i was quite
> happy with it ( huge increase over my MX440) but i started getting
> flickering in Games and then last Thursday, i came home to an indoor
> barbecue, my card had fried :-((
>
> I contacted my vendor, and guess what, he reckons it is not a guarantee
> problem but that i have been running the card incorrectly, which i hadn´t.
> Now i know thisa is not Ati´s problem but from what i gather in the forums i
> have been surfinng, is that it is also not an unknown problem for Cards to
> go t+ts up quite quickly. I now have a Geforce FX 5900 xt, another quantum
> leap so to say. I´ve been with nvidia since my first Geforce 256 ( Asus) and
> after this rather bad experience with ATI, i think i´ll stay there.
>
> Wave goodbye
>
> Rob

You do live in a civilized country with consumer laws? (Return/Refund
laws etc)I would suggest you follow up those rights and stop bending
over and leting the retailer F'ing you up the ass.

Wave goodbye - enjoy the ass stretching

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:48:43 +1000, Minotaur <antnel@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>RobundConny wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I bought a Radeon 9600 xt (sapphire) a couple of months ago, i was quite
>> happy with it ( huge increase over my MX440) but i started getting
>> flickering in Games and then last Thursday, i came home to an indoor
>> barbecue, my card had fried :-((
>>
>> I contacted my vendor, and guess what, he reckons it is not a guarantee
>> problem but that i have been running the card incorrectly, which i hadn´t.
>> Now i know thisa is not Ati´s problem but from what i gather in the forums i
>> have been surfinng, is that it is also not an unknown problem for Cards to
>> go t+ts up quite quickly. I now have a Geforce FX 5900 xt, another quantum
>> leap so to say. I´ve been with nvidia since my first Geforce 256 ( Asus) and
>> after this rather bad experience with ATI, i think i´ll stay there.
>>
>> Wave goodbye
>>
>> Rob
>>

>You do live in a civilized country with consumer laws? (Return/Refund
>laws etc)I would suggest you follow up those rights and stop bending
>over and leting the retailer F'ing you up the ass.
>
>Wave goodbye - enjoy the ass stretching

Absolutely, Minotaur; I would suggest, RC, that you contact your local
Trade Standards ofice (local Board of Trade or whatever? They should
be in the book).

If the vendor says you have been "running the card incorrectly," they
have to specify how you have been running it incorrectly and prove it,
show why it was incorrect and that it was reasonable that you should
not have done so.

Since you don't mention having contacted Ati about this, I don't
think, either, that you should be so criticical of Ati or their cards
in this way - any card from any manufacturer can go wrong. If you
haven't given them a chance to rectify the situation, you can't
criticise them for it. Your problem, and the organisation you should
be criticising is the vendor.

patrickp