Say Hello to AMD's New Generation of Graphics

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

There hasn't been a "new" architecture from either company for a few years. The next "new" is going to be Maxwell from NVidia as Titan was based on the same arch as the 680.

That said, I agree that they have not had a good launch for this card. There are reviews on everything else that is just rehash of older cards but nothing for the ones people want to see (along with pricing), the R9-290 series.

f-14

Distinguished
i was wondering when AMD was going to bail out on the naming scheme now that they have started reusing ATI's decade old model numbers from early 2000's

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

I'm pretty certain 'R' stands for 'Radeon'.
Also, as they've noted in the past, a higher numbering means more powerful GPU.

Telling someone what B, G, and E would stand for is the same as telling someone what I said above.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Quite frankly I am getting tired of this naming scheme. Why don't you call it like what car companies did a few years ago.

Say for example:

R290-DX
R290-LX
R290-GX
...etc. Obviously the low end would be the DX model while the high-end would be GX.

My head always spins when they came out with something like:

HD6950 (which is what I currently own).

AMD (ATi), do us all a favor please make use of KISS principle. It'll save us alot of grief when buying a new card in the future.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
@dxwarlock
Why do i need to ask your wife, i asked mine. She said code names of each card, die size, transistor count, bus width, amount and bandwith of memory, cores frequency, its boost frequency, memory frequency, number of shaders, ROPs, TMUs, floating point performance, their TDP and spanked me for not watching live presentation carefully =(

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Regarding processing performance, the impression I've gotten, from the numerical naming convention of graphic processors, is that the first and second digit have about equal significance rather than the first digit being worth 10 times the second digit which is what we are accustomed to when reading numbers. That means that in order to get a rough approximation of the processing performance of the processor, we should add the first digit into the same column as the second digit instead of treating it like it belongs in the next column over, which is to the left and is worth 10 times the right column.

Does that seem approximately correct to the rest of you?

magneezo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2005
Completely awesome possibilities and sweet graphics cards. Waiting for the Drivers to Mature. Hopefully it won't be a forever and a day wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.