SB AWE 64 GOLD (ISA)

G

Im having a problem with my computer,its very slow to be a p3 850mhz with 256mb ram, i believe its my old soundcard, which is ISA, i think it slowsdown the whole computer, is this possible?'
Im also using mixed harddrives both ATA 66 and older.. My motherboard can handle ata 66, with special flatcables. Maybe this is why to?
I need all help i can get guys... The motherboard is a asus CUV4X.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You're sound card shouldn't be slowing you down, unless you're in the middle of a game and it's 'crackling' when under high loads.

If you're using an older hard drive, you're probably not getting the 37meg/sec read rates that others are getting. I've got a 6.4gig ibm that just at 8meg/sec read. You can try ata-66 cables (80 conductor) to get a small boost, but it's not much unless the hard drive can put out over 25meg/sec. You can order 80c cables for close to $6 at <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new"> Pricewatch </A>.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You need to have your ATA66 drive on an 80 conductor 40 pin cable, with the UDMA drivers installed, and no slower devices on the cable. Good luck, you have a crappy chipset for the PIII, and the third worst PIII processor for performance verses speed. You could have at least used an 800EB or an 866. If you wanted to overclock, the 700 would have ben a far better choice. The 850 will always be limmited to slow bus speeds, even when overclocked.

Suicide is painless...........