SB Live! 5.1 speaker setup help???

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i have a sound blaster live! platinum 5.1 with klipsch 4.1 promedia speakers. should i have the speaker config set up as 4 speakers or 5.1 option? whats the difference?

FatBurger

Illustrious
You can't do 5.1 with 4.1 speakers, mate...
Basically, 5.1 does front left, front right, left, right and back (as well as a sub), whereas 4.1 does front left, front right, back left and back right (with a sub). the ".1" refers to the sub.

Basically, set it up as a four speaker system.

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
oooohhh... ok. thanks. maybe sb could work on their documentation a bit...i dont really know how to get the most out of this thing, ya know?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, most people don't know much about sound. I'm an audio engineer (not professionally), so I know a good amount about speakers and other crap ;)

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

You got that backwards...
5.1 refers to FR Left, FR Right, BK Left, BK Right, <i>Center</i> (not back), and Sub.

There is a way for you to set up your speakers in 5.1 surround. Instead of a real center speaker, the FR Left and FR Right "works" together to create a "phantom center." However, it doesn't come as close as a true center speaker, especially when it comes to heavy dialogues in DVDs.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>