G

I have a epox 8k7a+ Mobo and a SB live 5.1 card. The system runs great untill I try to play any type of opengl first person game. The games lock horribly if I'm lucky, otherwise they just reboot the machine. This does not happen with the card removed from the system. my system info is as follows.

epox 8k7a+
ATI Radeon aiw
sb live platnum 5.1
Dlink 530tx+ 10/100
256 mb ram
windows XP (had ME. Same problem)

Any assistance would be appreciated. I'm useing the built in AC97 sound. That works, but only for two speakers. If there is a way to set it to use 4 point surround I'd like to hear!

Epox coustomer support was not helpful, Creative was lukewarm, while ATI was generally interested in helping, though unsuccessful.

Of to do glorious battle with microshaft products!

G

Yep. All drivers for vid and snd are current. I dl'ed everything, and didn't stay with just system drivers. I should note this happens independant of the driver version.

Of to do glorious battle with microshaft products!

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am using Windows 2000. I have some problem with newer driver from Creative's web site. So I used the older driver I have download before.

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
it might not be the sound card ati has a open gl, and other fixes for games adjust the settings in advance control area
heres one type fix for zbuffer
Open Display Properties from Control Panel
Select the Settings tab and click the Advanced button
Select the Direct3D tab and use the pull-down menu to change "Z-buffer bit depths" from "16; 24" to "16; 24; 32".

If you have any questions about the information above, contact ATI Technical Support and reference INFO-BASE file D
<A HREF="http://support.ati.com/products/pc/radeon/radeon_issues.html" target="_new">http://support.ati.com/products/pc/radeon/radeon_issues.html</A>

also i been to the open gl site they have other patches for ati

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Also, mke sure that none of your items are sharing IRQ's. ATI and Creative do not like to share:)

If it works for you then don't fix it.

Magic_Robertson

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2002
what chipset do you got mate?

coz those problems sound like ones iv seen with the via 686b chipset or a chipset based on that

sb live and 686b dont go together

then again you may not have that chipset...
but even then the sblive is still [-peep-]

you want a good sound card go for the:
hercules gamethreatre xp
note you will have to update the drivers the ones it comes with sucks

but anyway good luck on your problem :smile:

im a boring old fart and a crazy loon.
im also a mad alcoholic git but do that matter! :smile: