Question SBC selection for one-off Android car instrument cluster

aabill

Honorable
Apr 23, 2016
For the above, which board and any necessary add-ons would you suggest and why?

I've reviewed numerous options but finding it a bit of a minefield and would very much appreciate input from anyone who's "been there done that" or similar.

Requirements (non-essential in italics):
Android pref 5.1 or later with Play Store (target application needs Play Store activation)​
Compatible with 1920x720 display and capacitative touch panel​
Broadband 3G/4G/LTE​
GPS​
WiFi​
Bluetooth (data from vehicle and engine sensors is sent over BT)​
Sensors: ambient light; accelerometer
Audio: Mic input; earpiece out; speaker out
Battery charge controller
Preferably components sourceable in uk and not direct from China

I've seen so far one board which looks like it can do all of the above without add-ons, which would be neat, manufactured by Wisecoco in China but AFAIK only available with one of their displays.
Thanks in advance
Bill

I don't think you will find all of these in a single unit:
  • GPS, 3G/4G/LTE is very tricky to be built-in, external USB or even hotspot module would be much more universal;
  • Integrated sensors and Battery charge controller will limit you to some knock-off boards designed for phones / tablets (been there, done that), which will be difficult to integrete with a display. OTOH - you'll need good programming skills to integreate off-the-shelf components into existing Android build;

So - I am not saying it's impossible, I got many years ago "Android Development Board" which was just a board from a tablet, and had fun with it.

aabill

Honorable
Apr 23, 2016
Thanks. Yes - I have the app running on a Huawei M2 tablet but to use it I'd have to find a way of interfacing with my 8:3 display, arrange external aerials, automatic brightness control, etc, etc...