sc.exe qdescription

Hello Windozers ;-)

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sc qdescription cryptsvc
[SC] GetConfigInfo FAILED 122:

The data area passed to a system call is too small.

[SC] GetConfigInfo needs 940 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

I tried to get around with 'sc qdescription svcname bufsize= 5000, or
greater. No go.
System: XP Sp1a

Any way around this would be helpful!
Or is it a bug?

Regards,

Mart

Remove the typo from your command

Correct Syntax;
sc description cryptsvc

Wrong Syntax;
sc qdescription cryptsvc

Regards
Mark Dormer

On Fri, 27 May 2005 14:33:33 +1000, "Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org>
wrote:

>Remove the typo from your command
>
>Correct Syntax;
>sc description cryptsvc

wrong...
qdescription is used to query, not to set a service description.

anyways, i was missing something too...
do, must have been blind:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sc qdescription
Retrieves the description string of a service.
USAGE:
sc <server> qdescription [service name] <bufferSize>

i missed the <bufferSize>, used it as i was used with sc query
bufsize= xxx...

wrong answer Mark, but thanks it helped me open my eyes...
guess i'm already computer blind ;)

regards

Mart