Question Scale of 0-10 how much should I panic? HDD-Bad

Jun 26, 2024
Hey there,

If it's only used for storage, I'd start swapping any data to a new driver ASAP. Whils the drive may not failright now (as in this moment) with such health readings, it's likely it will fail. Is there any notable noise from the drive? Like a ticking sound?
No abnormal sounds.
It only has data written to it once every couple months and data is almost never read from it so it is a bit strange to see a bad health status.
I've just unplugged it until I can get a replacement.
Thanks for your reply.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

MWink64

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
There's two ways to look at it. If this is just a backup drive, and everything it contains is still on another fully functional drive, it's time to act, not panic. As for this drive, it's a goner. With that SMART report, it's very bad. It's even tripped SMART, which doesn't even happen in many cases of catastrophic failure. I would classify this drive as unsalvageable and useless. It is already eating your data. It has already detected hundreds of bad sectors and I can virtually guarantee they will continue to spread. I wouldn't even consider trusting a drive that has much more than 10 (non-spreading) bad sectors and no other failing attributes. I strongly advise you to replace this drive immediately (but don't panic).

Reactions: Grobe

TRENDING THREADS