Status
Not open for further replies.

saint666

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
Hi

Ive been playing Forza Horizon 5 (FH5).. and was running ultra settings with display (in the game) set at 2560x1600 just to try out the game.. the game was running fine @ 110-12 0FPS ..... with couple of crashes (in the past 5 days) when I launch multiple tabs on chrome..

Today the game crashed a couple of times even with Chrome not launched .. so i went to to Nvedia and just wanted to see what it was recommending.. i made some minor adjustment on the slider and I pressed optimized.. upon loading the game everything appeared much bigger in scale even though Nvedia recommended display @ 3840x2160... the game at idle is now running @ 80FPS and became very sluggish when going through menus..

I tried the following:

1. returned to previous resolution and settings as much as recalled.. However the 2560x1600 res is now boxed for some reason and still the game is sluggish and running at lower FPS
  2. I uninstalled NVIDIA GeForce Experience with revo uninstallers and deleted/removed all files .. still no change
  3. Checked Nvedia panel to see if GPU scaling is on.. its NOT .. however im not sure if i should change or keep it the same
  4. Used the reset under windows apps.. still no change
The only thing remaining is to reinstall the game.. and given its over 100GB .. i want to leave that as last resort and if it definitely will return the game to previous scale

couple of things to note
  1. When I changed the resolution the scaling and size did not change.. I think its sfae to assume that it should change
  2. This is not a desktop setup.. but im running my game on a HTPC so I sit quite far and thus I increased the scaling to around 300 dpi since everything appears tiny on 4k display from far..
In that regard I feel that windows is (via the optimizer) somehow is forcing teh game to use the native scaling..

Here are my system specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5 9600K @ 3.70GHz
RAM: 32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1600MHz (14-14-14-34)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z390 M GAMING-CF (U3E1)
GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Storage:
1- 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102 (SATA (SSD))
2- 238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB (SATA (SSD)
Display: 4K LED TV (Im aware its not ideal for gaming)

Sorry for the long post .. and would appreciate your assistance on how resolve this issue

Solution
with display (in the game) set at 2560x1600...

Nvedia recommended display @ 3840x2160...
Display: 4K LED TV
2560x1600 = 16:10 aspect ratio
3840x2160 = 16:9 aspect ratio.

you are not going to have proper scaling when using a different aspect ratio than the display.
if you want to lower resolution you should keep it at 16:9 with either 2560x1440 or 1920x1080.
there are actually a lot of very nice TVs out now that are great for PC gaming.

the LG CX/BX and later iterations are especially great for 4K HDR PC gaming @120Hz with Freesync / G-Sync Compatible.
with display (in the game) set at 2560x1600...

Nvedia recommended display @ 3840x2160...
Display: 4K LED TV
2560x1600 = 16:10 aspect ratio
3840x2160 = 16:9 aspect ratio.

you are not going to have proper scaling when using a different aspect ratio than the display.
if you want to lower resolution you should keep it at 16:9 with either 2560x1440 or 1920x1080.

the LG CX/BX and later iterations are especially great for 4K HDR PC gaming @120Hz with Freesync / G-Sync Compatible.

Solution

saint666

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015

Ok im aware of that .. but the still the scaling remains the same regardless of the resolution...

not sure why did you need to make response on that point??! .. I said im aware its not ideal .. I have sim setup in the on order along with 3x gaming displays and full system upgrade..

Please if your gonna response kindly provide a solution to the problem .. no need for useless pontification

there are actually a lot of very nice TVs out now that are great for PC gaming...
not sure why did you need to make response on that point??! .. I said im aware its not ideal
because you are incorrect.

as i stated in response to your post where you stated that 4K televisions in general are not ideal for PC gaming;
there are many like those i mentioned that are perfectly ideal for PC gaming.

if you are using a specific model that may not be ideal you should actually post that specific model and not make a generalized comment about 4K televisions.

Ok im aware of that .. but the still the scaling remains the same regardless of the resolution...
it's impossible to have the same scaling at 16:9 vs 16:10.
the whole point of different aspect ratios is to provide different sized screen scaling.

it's possible you have your display's options setup incorrectly.
you may need to alter the aspect ratio options from a static aspect ratio to an input scanning option or vice versa.

...i made some minor adjustment on the slider...
what slider? if it is an option in GeForce Experience do not use it.
this may be what has caused and continues your current display issue(s).
you should try to configure your settings manually in Nvidia Control Panel, Windows Display settings, and your TV's onscreen menu without GeForce Experience automated junk.

and DDU is the only software out there known to actually remove all previous graphics drivers, files, & settings.
without this process going in Safe Mode there are still files used by the OS that cannot be removed by your average uninstall software.
revo just reads Windows' basic install information and deletes related folders & registry entries while still leaving behind other graphics-related system files and user settings that may cause later conflicts or bring back issues you may have been trying to remove.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.