News Scalped RTX 4090s are Priced as High as $4000 on eBay

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I really hate eBay. Seems like it's full of Amazon drop-shippers and scam artists. The fees are also outrageous for the amount of work you have to put in trying to find legit buyers and sellers now. Seeing eBay again contributing to GPU -- or other electronics -- scarcity gives me additional reasons to avoid doing business there.

Reactions: Kridian

InvalidError

Titan
Nearly all decent GPU ever launched (and much other tech) have been on scarce availability for at least the first month from launch. The first wave of shipped cards instantaneously selling out was practically a given no matter what.

Where the fun begins is when the second wave of cards hits the shelves before scalpers are done getting rid of their first batch and watch their stash of unsold inventory grow with each additional delivery once the early more-money-than-sense buyers are done.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i can't imagine being so impatient that i'd pay double for something just to have it today.

something about a fool and his money comes to mind.

it is funny that the folks willing to pay crazy prices are the same ones that whine and cry about the scalpers. it does not bother me really since i am not gonna feed them, but it does get old listening to the impatient ones whining cause someone is taking advantage of them. follow nancy regan's advice and "JUST SAY NO!!" lol

I’m good. If I wanted to which I’m not buying a 4090, my local Microcenter showed 3 zotac models left in stock at 1699. But those are the kind you can’t buy online. Even at msrp, let retailers sit on them. They are overpriced at msrp much less people scalping.

Reactions: Kridian

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Most, if not all, of these early "buys" are fake buyers to upvote and establish good rep for those sellers. Of course there's an old saying, a sucker is born every min on this planet. Some of those suckers end up looking at these "well reputed" sellers who have "sold" XX number of cards in last few days and now only limited stock is available, time to rush! They happily part away with their money to buy these overpriced cards for real and the wheel keeps rolling!

InvalidError

Titan
I got my 4090 MSRP from Newegg on day one. Not sure why you would go to Ebay and pay 2 to 3grand. It should arrive tomorrow according to tracking.
Because they were all sold out on NE and most other online places within hours from launch?

The fact that it took hours from launch instead of seconds for stock to run out seems like a pretty good indication that scalpers and crypto-miners haven't swooped in anywhere near as hard as they did two years ago.

Reactions: Why_Me

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
even before scalping was as bad as it is now, every new release saw sold out stock very quickly. happens EVERY time. why should this be any diferent. there were always some who took advantage and gouged on ebay and other flea market sites. nothing new here.

always amazes me how we have this conversation with EVERY release ever. as always it is the same. wait a month and everything will be in stock once the first day rush is over.

or don't wait, pay double and help a scalper afford the next new thing so they can do it again and again.

even before scalping was as bad as it is now, every new release saw sold out stock very quickly. happens EVERY time. why should this be any diferent. there were always some who took advantage and gouged on ebay and other flea market sites. nothing new here.

always amazes me how we have this conversation with EVERY release ever. as always it is the same. wait a month and everything will be in stock once the first day rush is over.

or don't wait, pay double and help a scalper afford the next new thing so they can do it again and again.
With exception of the 3000 series launch you are dead-on as always Math Geek!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
well yah the last couple years def go down as crazy and abnormal. mining and scalping decimated stock like i've never seen before.

glad that sorted itself out and hopefully mining stays non-profitable so we can get back to normal. :)

Reactions: helper800
Just wait until they figure out how to mine on cpus, then we'll all be on old i7s lol. In actuality, I get Nvidia wanting to make a buck, but 1600 for a graphics card alone is ridiculous imo anyway, so I'm obviously not the target for these cards. However, if I come across a deal on a 6900xt or comparable AMD equivalent next go around, maybe I'll think of buying.

Warrior24_7

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Scalpers have taken over the market! Nvidia has a trial program thru GeForce Experience, but you have to have a Nvidia GPU to participate. Why they won’t implement pre-orders, and limited buys means that this is how the market is going to be from now on.

Warrior24_7

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
All of these tech talking heads have misread the market, and desire for the RTX 4090. The price of the 4090 isn’t an issue for people who’ll buy it. The card immediately sold out. They’re spending “twice” as much to own one. So telling people not to buy it and wait for AMD has fallen on deaf ears. I’m not waiting either. I’m also not paying no more than the MSRP.

Yeah right now I’ve got my 6700xt and just now making the swap to 1440p so I’m good. Thankfully I’ve got microcenter just about 40 minutes away. They lately seem really good about making cards available in store only. So if they have one I want I’m fortunate to be able to hop in the car and head over. But you may be correct. Look at the ps5, you still can’t hardly buy those in stores.

flg2010

Commendable
Nov 17, 2020
My prediction after the last 5 years and seeing how each launch was worse then the last (yes this is worse then the pandemic launch when it took a year with a notify list with EVGA):

- 4090s will never be in stock during the next 2 years for more then minutes to maybe an hour. Those with the best network connections and pings to the online legitimate seller services (or who are using bots) will be fortunate enough to get one. Everyone else will come up empty every time. People that wait in line at microcenter might get a shot at getting the chance to buy however they won't get to select the brand and card they really want in most instances.

- Most legitimate purchasers (people that will use the card not resell it for profit) will be faced with paying $800, $1,200, $1,500, or more on top of the list price on the secondary "scalper" marketplace.

- About 5 to 3 months or so before the launch of the 5090 the 4090s will be in stock. Licensed resellers that allow scalpers to sell on them will be the place to look because most of the unsold inventory will end up there, Amazon is not one of those resellers, Newegg is... be careful where you buy because if you have a warranty issue you may end up having to pay for a repair (essentially a refurb card from a manufacturer. If you buy a old card that's new but from a scalper on Newegg you likely will get the warranty from the manufacturer. Anyways at that point, as we saw some months ago with 3090s/3090 tis, 4090s will be in stock and purchasable. Most of them will have been sitting in someone's basement/warehouse unopened for a year or more. A few 100 off list I bet.

I don't pay above list for anything. So if I want a 4090 that's likely when I will be able to get one. I hope AMD does a better job. If they do I will turn by back on Nvidia for good. Forced scarcity is not a good play to make its super anti-consumer.

D

Deleted member 14196

😆😆😆😆😆🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That’s what I think of anyone who buys one of these