News Scalpers Flip DDR5 RAM on eBay for Up to $2,500

InvalidError

Titan
In a year or two, this early hen's teeth DDR5 is going to be considered garbage relative to much cheaper 2nd/3rd-gen DDR5. The scalpers are doing would-be buyers a favor by running away with all of the first-gen stock and steering people towards DDR4 which is nearly just as good at 3600-4000MT/s for $100 less..

Eh ... this is ridiculous , HBM RAM is cheaper than this ...
Except you cannot put HBM on a DIMM since the very concept of HBM is based on signal traces being too short to need to worry about transmission line issues and high-powered IO.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I think it is less than half of it, but it is there for sure. We really need to pass the anti grinch bot act that makes it illegal to use a bot to purchase things on sites that disallow it. It helped for ticket scalpers to some degree and it would help here as well.

Reactions: Why_Me and Dean0919
D

Deleted member 2783327

I wouldn't be surprised that if this is not the manufacturers doing this to max out profits, that they at least are endorsing it.

History tells us some people think that rampant mindless consumerism is the only way to live. Do what the media and big tech say.. buy..buy..buy and whether they need it or not they'll drop a months rent on it without hesitation.

Our dependency on useless tech that we don't need has turned many into mindless zombies.

No one is actually ever going to stop this. And those who don't want to play the game will miss out, at least for a very long time.

How long has the GPU scalping been going on now? GPU prices here are still 3x MSRP.

USAFRet

Titan
the pandemic and the shortage should of proven the world NEEDS laws against scalping any still new/produced product.
  1. There are no worldwide laws.
  2. Define 'scalping'.

A lot of manufacturers don't honor a warranty past the original buyer. That does not stop the GHIN(*) buyers.
So people will sell them, for whatever price they can command.

* - Gotta Have It Now

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
I think it is less than half of it, but it is there for sure. We really need to pass the anti grinch bot act that makes it illegal to use a bot to purchase things on sites that disallow it. It helped for ticket scalpers to some degree and it would help here as well.
Such a law would be ceremonial only because it is unenforceable, unless we start to accept 1984 levels of surveillance.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
There is only one solution to this problem. Boycott.

True. A free market system relies on rational decision making. Problem is that's in short supply these days. Rabid fanboyism and hardware lust of the well-heeled undermine the entire system. And our rational dollars have to compete with the irrational ones in the market.

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
For the price of Scalper DDR5, you can buy another MB and 128GB of DDR4 . You have a choice. If you can afford Scalper DDR5, you can settle for a lesser MB and a vast amount of DDR4. For right now the performance of DDR4 is fine. This isn't like Video Cards where.. after a few years of waiting, you pay extra to finally get one. I had to buy another MB and 64 GB of DDR4 for my i9-12900K CPU. It will still Rock and I will be happy until DDR5 is available and better. Go ahead Scalpers.. I will never, Ever pay those kind of prices for DDR5.

Reactions: Dean0919

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
Time traveler says:

What a bunch of amateurs! One obscenely makes much more money scalping air and water where, oops, when I come from.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
There is only one solution to this problem. Boycott.
This is indeed the only solution. The more you entertain scalpers, the better the incentive for them to continue this practice. People who buy from scalpers are not thinking long term because the supposed 1 off transaction is going to come back and haunt them going forward. Scalpers are not going to stop their practice if there is this insatiable demand and a constant shortage.

Reactions: Dean0919

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
True. A free market system relies on rational decision making. Problem is that's in short supply these days. Rabid fanboyism and hardware lust of the well-heeled undermine the entire system. And our rational dollars have to compete with the irrational ones in the market.
And that's assuming it's not the scalpers themselves astroturfing significant part of the purchases and volume.

But of course, the other extreme end of the spectrum, a hypothetical strict first-come first-serve system with no resale is...only pleasant for the lucky few in a shortage.

Is there a middle ground anymore? Plain and officially-run one-component-per-lot auction open to all? Post your price and they'll ship to the highest bidders as long as supply lasts? Assuming either won't be DDoSed to death in minutes, and won't themselves run afoul of any of the consumer protection regs anywhere.

1. There are no worldwide laws.
  2. Define 'scalping'.
A lot of manufacturers don't honor a warranty past the original buyer. That does not stop the GHIN(*) buyers.
So people will sell them, for whatever price they can command.

* - Gotta Have It Now
For it to be scalping the person would have to be responsible for the supply to be significantly less or even completely stop, if for example hynix would buy all of crucials ddr5 to sell them at a higher price that would be scalping because hynix would significantly reduce the amount of ddr5 available on the market and do it for the sole purpose of profiting from it. Same if crucial would just produce or ship less to be able to sell the fewer units at a much higher price. Or if a huge retailer only sells part of their stock to sell them at a higher price.

If somebody buys 5 or 10 or even 100 sticks of a mass produced item they do not change the availability of the product by any significant amount. They are just taking advantage of somebody that can't wait a week or whatever for more of it to be produced or shipped.

Reactions: dimar