News Scalpers Sell Preorders of GeForce RTX 3080 for Over $1,200

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
You can pretty much do whatever you want and eBay will sit back and ignore the seller. Buy it, use it for two weeks, send it back and get your refund. The seller even has to pay return postage.

Then... leave negative feedback. Easy.

Either way, with eBay constantly bidding items up, they want your cash. (So many 0 feedback accounts and accounts that just vanish).

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it is so tempting to take advantage of the fools willing to drop the cash like this.

i used to do this with iphones back in the day. i'd pre-order the new one, pick it up release day and then stand outside the apple store with the unopened box and taking the first $1500 cash handed to me. the phones were only about $700 back then so it was a HUGE mark-up.

i'd get everyone i knew to pre-order one and with sometimes 10 new phones in hand, i'd easily net thousands of bucks in no time (think $8000 was my best release day!!). then i'd take the profit, order another one for the second release for personal use and then sell my last years model for $500 or so to a t-mobile user who could not get the phone. this was of course back when at&t was exclusive carrier. never once did i feel bad for the fools who bought them from me.

i really don't blame folks for doing this since it is so tempting. i personally blame the folks willing to pay it instead of waiting a couple months for stock to be easy to get. then buy from a reputable seller for reg price. those gougers would be stuck with having to sell for normal prices since no one was willing to pay the huge price.

but supply and demand and all that, so if people are willing to pay such crazy prices, then people will be willing to charge the prices!! want to stop the gouging? stop paying the price.

Reactions: Shadowclash10

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
The card itself will cost over 1200 dollars. The nVidia pricing just like their 8k claims are ridicilous especially right now in covid-19 times. Firstly the FE versions of the cards will be rare thus over priced and the retailer versions will have overclock edition and triple fans and RGB lights and those will sell for 1200 or more. The 3090 will be had for 1600 to 1800 and the 3090Ti at 2500 after tax and what not. 🤷‍♀️👶😲

Apr 10, 2020
I just checked RTX2080 SUPER is fantastic 30 Eur cheaper despite RTX 3000 series pricing.
Stores probably wait till the last moment!

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[Marketing-wise, Nvidia isn't holding anything back either. ]
True if you do not include benchmarks, quite a lot of youtube tech channels have the cards (even unboxing it) but are not allowed to release any benchmarks :/
I'd say Nvidia isn't holding back on marketing:
  • The FE cards are made in small quantities using the best binned chips and using a very expensive cooler. Then sold at (or even below) cost, to allow the claim of "RTX 3080 is good price/performance".
  • The testers are given cherry picked FE cards to deliver the most favourable reviews possible.
  • Partner-branded cards will perform below FE and/or be sold at higher prices, making them worse price/performance.

It's the release day reviews (of the very best FE cards) that will be read for years to come, not reviews of the cards that will be available for purchase.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I just checked RTX2080 SUPER is fantastic 30 Eur cheaper despite RTX 3000 series pricing.
Stores probably wait till the last moment!
30€ cheaper than what?
Don't expect these cards to go down in price anytime soon. You have to wait until the Ampere cards are available in quantity and closer to the official MSRP.
I expect the Turing cards to be phased out over the next six months or so rather than sold out at lower prices.

I'd say Nvidia isn't holding back on marketing:
  • The FE cards are made in small quantities using the best binned chips and using a very expensive cooler. Then sold at (or even below) cost, to allow the claim of "RTX 3080 is good price/performance".
  • The testers are given cherry picked FE cards to deliver the most favourable reviews possible.
  • Partner-branded cards will perform below FE and/or be sold at higher prices, making them worse price/performance.
It's the release day reviews (of the very best FE cards) that will be read for years to come, not reviews of the cards that will be available for purchase.

Do you have any evidence of this actually being true? Historically FE editions have been outperformed by partner versions with better cooling and higher clocks. I can already see partner versions listed on UK sites at the same price as FE.

cirdecus

Distinguished
And some sheeple will buy them.

You do realize people are paying for the service of getting the card for them. They don't want to sit around and wait for them to pop up on stores. They'd rather pay a premium for someone else to do it. The reason you think they're "sheeple" is because you value the extra few hundred bucks more than they value their time.

Reactions: Rdslw

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nah. No one will buy it. Unless they wanna use it for Mining and plan to purchase in Bulk.
Do NOT underestimate Human Stupidity. It knows no bounds...

Those listings are there because it has worked successfully before.

I can already see partner versions listed on UK sites at the same price as FE.
There's no guarantee they'll stay that way, is there?

Reactions: King Dranzer

USAFRet

Titan
You do realize people are paying for the service of getting the card for them. They don't want to sit around and wait for them to pop up on stores. They'd rather pay a premium for someone else to do it. The reason you think they're "sheeple" is because you value the extra few hundred bucks more than they value their time.
And paying a premium for being an alpha tester, on a device that we've not yet seen actual benchmarks on.

We've seen comments about wanting to know the exact hour and timezone they go on sale, or declaring they're going to camp out at BestBuy to be first in line.

This happens with every major release, hardware or software.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
> opportunists on eBay are putting up GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition preorders for as high as $1,250, which is blatant price gouging...."

Blatant indeed! And since so many of the poor require continual video card updates to simply survive, we should pass a law requiring lengthy prison sentences for such blatant price gouging. Next thing you know, people will be trying to sell their homes for more than they paid for them!

Reactions: folfy20 and fhlh002

TRENDING THREADS