News Scalpers Selling RTX 4080 For Over $1,600 Day After Launch

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
The Gigabyte Aero OC GeForce RTX 4080 retails for $1,299, but one seller lists the card in stock at $1,688. RTX 4090 Founder Edition has an MSRP of $1,599. That same seller has the MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 4080 in stock with a $357 markup.

Those are pretty small markups. Wasn't the PS5 sold at several times the price of MSRP by scalpers.

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Are they listing them for that or are they selling them for that? They can list for whatever they want all day but I'm skeptical that there are many suckers who would actually buy it for that price.

There are no shortage of cards now so anyone that would support scalping to have this particular one at this particular moment, one that already is bad on price to performance at list vs existing 30 series and AMD, deserves to get ripped off.

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
On eBay locally, for RTX 4090 some bids go as high as $2313, for offers from non-business sellers. So some persons are apparently willing to pay extra, despite not necessarily getting a warranty for a second-hand item.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
My local Microcenter has plenty of 4080s in stock, which means IMHO the sell out online was all due to scalpers. My guess is that most gamers aren't interested in this card due to it's high MSRP.

Last edited:
Reactions: kal326

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Scalpers gonna try with basically everything. I would be watching sell through on eBay for any indication they are having any luck. Microcenter has cards still sitting on shelves across the country.

As other have mentioned online sellers that are sold out are probably mostly scalpers looking to flip and will be disappointed shortly.

If the was a vindictive person I would see if there were any eBay sellers that accept returns and hold cards as long as possible before having to return them to the eBay seller. That way they could end up stuck with unreturnable to original retailer and equally unsellable for over MSRP stock.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
On eBay locally, for RTX 4090 some bids go as high as $2313, for offers from non-business sellers. So some persons are apparently willing to pay extra, despite not necessarily getting a warranty for a second-hand item.
The ironical part about scalpers is that eBay is scalping the scalpers by taking $254.43+Shipping from the $2313 as sellers fee.
Yes, you read that right. eBay, after having done nothing is taking 11% or $254.43 PLUS shipping (yes you read that right again as well, shipping where you the seller make $0 in profits will be added to the fee % as well).

eBay probably made a good noticeable amount of cash with the scalping catastrophy. Criminals washing criminals hands.

KyaraM

Admirable
My local Microcenter has plenty of 4080s in stock, which means IMHO the sell out online was all due to scalpers. My guess is that most gamers aren't interested in this card due to it's high MSRP.
Boyfriend told me yesterday that his company also has bot problems that keep cards from getting sold, in addition to the scalpers... that would also lead to an online sell-out and cards being more readily bought at scalper prices. Big German online hardware retailer.

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
Scalping is now a viable business, the margins are not as astronomical as they used to be, but the profits from the boom means that the big players will always be around. The only way for the scalpers to move on from GPUs and the computer components market is if early adopter enthusiasts started practising some self-restraint.

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
Scalpers gonna try with basically everything. I would be watching sell through on eBay for any indication they are having any luck. Microcenter has cards still sitting on shelves across the country.

As other have mentioned online sellers that are sold out are probably mostly scalpers looking to flip and will be disappointed shortly.

If the was a vindictive person I would see if there were any eBay sellers that accept returns and hold cards as long as possible before having to return them to the eBay seller. That way they could end up stuck with unreturnable to original retailer and equally unsellable for over MSRP stock.
Here in Poland, it is the same scenario but the stocks are even more available; considering we have much less purchasing power as NA or richer parts of Europe. The cheapest partner 4080 is going for 8300zl ~ $1800, the only people who can buy a 4080 here can probably just opt for the 90.

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
The ironical part about scalpers is that eBay is scalping the scalpers by taking $254.43+Shipping from the $2313 as sellers fee.
Yes, you read that right. eBay, after having done nothing is taking 11% or $254.43 PLUS shipping (yes you read that right again as well, shipping where you the seller make $0 in profits will be added to the fee % as well).

eBay probably made a good noticeable amount of cash with the scalping catastrophy. Criminals washing criminals hands.

Yeah, you have to start with more like 23% markup if buying from places with higher sales tax and selling on ebay. We have 10.1% so even you got a Nvidia 3090 FE at $1600, you would have to sell it for ~$2000 to break even. For the 4080 FE you'd have to list at ~$1,500. So add a few hundred for the partner cards.
May all the scalpers lose enough that they realize it is time to stop this idiocy.