News Scalping Pricing Trends Suggest Ryzen 5000 Supply Improving

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I wish the same could be said about the RX 6800 XT. I had to go with an HP Omen 30L prebuild because GPU's are still 2-3x MSRP.
it's getting worse if anything. as crypto is increasing in value and popularity, miners are grabbing them all.

i hate crypto. the idea is great, but it's a massive waste of energy and resources. on top of that, there is NO inherent value. if you have 1000 farms mining all the bitcoin, where is the actual value? if no one else has any bitcoin, it's worthless.

Reactions: JamesJones44
CPU sales always go down right before a new CPU release, happened to intel when zen1 came out and happens to every CPU before any CPU gets released.

Lower sales=lower scalping prices.

i hate crypto. the idea is great, but it's a massive waste of energy and resources. on top of that, there is NO inherent value. if you have 1000 farms mining all the bitcoin, where is the actual value? if no one else has any bitcoin, it's worthless.
Isn't it that the bitcoin that you mine is the percentage that you have earned by validating a transaction someone else did with bitcoin? So there has to be a lot of business being done with BC otherwise the miners wouldn't make any money.

It's the same thing with real banks, the bank makes a percentage of each transaction and in theory they should have the equivalent in real money but we have all seen how well that worked. With bitcoin you don't have the insurance of the/any government bailing them out if something happens but otherwise it's the same thing.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
it's getting worse if anything. as crypto is increasing in value and popularity, miners are grabbing them all.

100% Crypto is always going to be a strain on the GPU market unless something new can take its place or it crashes again. The more bitcoin (most cryptos) they mine the less they get, the more GPUs they need to keep pace and the cycle repeats forever. You can't even buy last gen GPUs for cheap right now thanks to miners bidding up the prices.

caseym54

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Both the 5800x and the 5600x show "in stock" at EVERY Microcenter store. While that's not always accurate, the individual stores I checked showed 25+ units in stock. They show the 5900x in stock at some stores, and the 5950x is out of stock at all stores.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I wish the same could be said about the RX 6800 XT. I had to go with an HP Omen 30L prebuild because GPU's are still 2-3x MSRP.
I feel kind of guilty over the 4-month-old (used) pre-build I picked up for only $200 more than the current value of the GPU in it.
These are indeed odd times, but I am not going to lose any sleep over it, since I already decided to use the system, and not part it out for rediculous profit.

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017

The secret ingredient is crime.

If you want to fund and support human trafficking - Bitcoin farming is the place to be.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I would expect supply Zen 3 processor supply to improve considering that AMD cannot forever be allocating the bulk of their fab allocation to making SOCs for consoles. And considering that it is more profitable to produce CPUs than GPUs, it is likely that AMD will prioritize accordingly. So unfortunately for GPU, I think supply will still be low, while demand remains very high with miners now joining the queue. Even though RDNA2 is not as good at mining as compared to Ampere, its better than no GPUs to mine.

Scalping Pricing Trends Suggest AMD's Ryzen 5000 Supply Is Improving
Or more accurately, demand is down.

It's not exactly a good time to be building a performance PC, since graphics cards are largely out of stock and typically marked up by hundreds of dollars when you can find them. Plus, Intel is expected to be launching a new generation of processors soon that may offer a little more performance, so many of those looking to build a high-end system will be waiting to see what those have to offer. Both factors are undoubtedly reducing demand, as not as many people will be willing to pay a premium for them, and the sellers are undoubtedly finding it a lot harder to move units at marked up prices. Even the MSRPs for these parts were rather high compared to typical Ryzen pricing, with a total lack value-oriented models, so it's mostly going to be those wanting the absolute fastest who will consider them, and when something potentially faster is coming soon, they will be inclined to hold out for that.

As for supply, considering these chips are sharing the same 7nm process as AMD's GPUs and console APUs, I doubt production has actually increased significantly. Availability will probably improve at retailers the closer we get to the Rocket Lake launch though, and perhaps we will see some better-priced models not too long thereafter.

Last edited:

scottsoapbox

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Or more accurately, demand is down.

It's not exactly a good time to be building a performance PC, since graphics cards are largely out of stock and typically marked up by hundreds of dollars when you can find them. Plus, Intel is expected to be launching a new generation of processors soon that may offer a little more performance, so many of those looking to build a high-end system will be waiting to see what those have to offer. Both factors are undoubtedly reducing demand, as not as many people will be willing to pay a premium for them, and the sellers are undoubtedly finding it a lot harder to move units at marked up prices. Even the MSRPs for these parts were rather high compared to typical Ryzen pricing, with a total lack value-oriented models, so it's mostly going to be those wanting the absolute fastest who will consider them, and when something potentially faster is coming soon, they will be inclined to hold out for that.

As for supply, considering these chips are sharing the same 7nm process as AMD's GPUs and console APUs, I doubt production has actually increased significantly. Availability will probably improve at retailers the closer we get to the Rocket Lake launch though, and perhaps we will see some better-priced models not too long thereafter.
You're wrong. Demand is still very high. Most people building high end rigs aren't counting pennies or worried about the next thing because they are going to upgrade again next year.

AMD can't make chips fast enough. Demand is not down.

Last edited:

Bamda

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
My local Micro Center has plenty of AMD Ryzen 5000 series CPUs in stock. The only CPU I did not see in stock was the 5950X.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
The 5600X and 5800X also typically come with a single eight-core compute die per chip (there are exceptions), instead of the two die used in the beefier models. As a result, focusing on chips with a single compute die allows AMD to ship more finished products per wafer of chips. As you can see from the recommended pricing, selling the pricier models isn't always the best deal for AMD in terms of profits. The Ryzen 9 5900X has twice the number of compute dies but only costs $100 more than the single-die 5800X. The Ryzen 9 5950X also has two dies, but it doesn't sell for twice the price of the 5800X.

This disregards the costs of the I/O die, the substrate and assembly.

Especially with the substrate shortages and lack of production capacity in the latter stages of the pipeline, I'd postulate that the relatively meager cost slope isn't the reason for AMD to prioritize the 5800X over higher-end parts, but rather the result from all of the CPUs being the subject of the same flat pricing pressure.

So if AMD can get enough CCDs, but other things are restrained, they're better off making the more expensive chips.

Also consider that the 5950X (and to a lesser degree the 5900X) will require better quality dies, but AMD can sell as many EPYCs as it can make with those instead.

gargoylenest

Commendable
Jan 13, 2020

I cant wait for elon musk to sell all bitcoin he has bought. If he sell all at once, it will have the inverse effect of when he bought; bitcoin value will drop, possibly causing domino effect as miners try to salvage as much as possible, thus dropping further the value, and making farming profit useless; then market will be flooded by GPU, and value will dramatically decrease.

teknobug

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
100% Crypto is always going to be a strain on the GPU market unless something new can take its place or it crashes again. The more bitcoin (most cryptos) they mine the less they get, the more GPUs they need to keep pace and the cycle repeats forever. You can't even buy last gen GPUs for cheap right now thanks to miners bidding up the prices.
Yup, I'm thinking of throwing my 1070Ti on eBay to see how far it goes, I got lucky with my local store getting some shipments of RX 6800. I ordered a 3070 back in November and got tired of waiting while hearing about people around my area ordering theirs in Jan and getting it 2 weeks later, so I bugged my store about it once more and then I asked about the RX 6800 and not even 5 seconds later the cashier put one on the counter in front of me and said it arrived minutes before I walked in. So far I'm happy with it, I'm only using it for simracing on triples and VR.

InvalidError

Titan
Scalping only works if people buy from them!
And why do people buy from scalpers in the first place? Because demand is significantly greater than supply, which forces buyers to compete against each other. Scalpers wouldn't be able to exhaust the supply and resell it at a higher price if supply met demand since they'd accrue massive liability in the form of unsold stock with little to no ability to mark their prices up.

scottsoapbox

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
My local Micro Center has plenty of AMD Ryzen 5000 series CPUs in stock. The only CPU I did not see in stock was the 5950X.
You realize you could buy and resell those if you wanted. I'm not saying be a scalper, just an intermediary to someone that doesn't live near a Micro Center. I'm sure some people would be willing to pay a reasonable 'handling' fee for your trouble.

You're wrong. Demand is still very high. Most people building high end rigs aren't counting pennies or worried about the next thing because they are going to upgrade again next year.

AMD can't make chips fast enough. Demand is not down.
You missed what I was saying. Those enthusiasts "building high-end rigs" are likely to know about next month's Rocket Lake launch, and don't want to potentially be stuck with something that isn't top of the line just weeks after they buy it. And there are only so many people willing to pay those kinds of prices before that market is saturated. If someone was willing to pay a big premium for one of these processors, they would have most likely done so already.

As the charts in the article illustrate, not only are the selling prices of these processors dropping, but so are the number of completed sales from third-party sellers. That should clearly be indicative of reduced demand, or at least, reduced demand at marked-up prices.

Going by the charts, the 5800X and 5600X are both averaging just $50 (10-20%) over MSRP now, and after deducting transaction and shipping fees, along with the sales tax paid on the initial purchase, leave no room for profits by someone buying them at MSRP to resell. Anyone buying those processors to resell at this point will likely end up losing money on them. Someone without an eBay store will be paying them around 10% of the sale price (or around 4% for a store listing), plus another 3% to paypal, adding up to around 13%. Add sales tax paid on the initial purchase, plus the cost of shipping it out to someone, and a regular reseller would need to sell these processors for 20-25% over MSRP just to break even, or perhaps more in a state with high sales tax. At best, those who bought these chips to resell are just trying to cut their losses at this point.

And the reason AMD "can't make chips fast enough" is more down to the high demand for graphics cards at the moment due to mining, along with their obligation to produce millions of APUs for the new consoles, all of which use large, monolithic chips built on the same 7nm process as their CPU chiplets. They have limited manufacturing capacity through TSMC, and are required to dedicate a big chunk of that to console chips, despite those probably not making them nearly as much money on a per-wafer basis.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS