Scammed by local computer repair guy?

Sep 7, 2021
I recently had an issue with my gaming laptop where I had to get a new SSD installed along with a brand new Windows 10 operating system. I called the local mobile repair guy that had great reviews. He picked up my laptop Tuesday morning at 9am and was done by 3pm that afternoon. He dropped it off and we went over what he did and made sure everything was running fine. He charged $150 for the new Windows 10 Pro edition key/install. After he left I went through the system and started realizing that somethings weren't working like Windows Update or Windows Defender along with several other things. I started to worry about the legitimacy so I checked the Activation in Windows OS where I found that it said "Windows is activated using your organization's activation service". I had no idea what this mean so of course, I looked it up...found something to type in Command Prompt. It is a Volume KMS Client Version that has an expiration of 180 days. So basically I was told that I'd be getting a full retail version of Windows 10 that lasts forever, and instead was given this. Also on the SSD i found a program called "Winaero" after poking around it I saw that he had used it to disable Windows Updates/Defender along with 100 other things.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me more information on this or how I should go about handling this?
I can provide more information if that helps. Thanks guys

Sep 7, 2021
We agreed to a fresh retail copy of Windows 10 Pro, something that lasts forever and not 180 days. I'm not experienced or comfortable with installing laptop hardware myself so I unfortunately had to pay for the service.

DSzymborski

Titan
Well, the next thing to do is to call them and tell them that you either want a refund for the price of the software or you want a proper key for it. They either satisfy you or you file a report with the Better Business Bureau after you hang up the phone. A legal threat will be ineffectively and basically laughed at (and will be rightly taken as a sign to not take it seriously).

While you had them pay for the laptop repair, you really should install your own software yourself!

DSzymborski

Titan
Yup, it would have been bad enough if he gave you a dodgy gray market key or exploited a volume licensed key he had access to. But he didn't do that. He pocketed your $150 and gave you a pirated one instead, which cost him $0.

Make sure he realizes that without a full refund of the cost of the OS, details of the pirated software they installed in your PC, plus screenshots, will be filed with the Better Business Bureau and the Business Software Alliance.

Then, if you get your money back, ideally, file these anyway.

Yup, it would have been bad enough if he gave you a dodgy gray market key or exploited a volume licensed key he had access to. But he didn't do that. He pocketed your $150 and gave you a pirated one instead, which cost him $0.

Make sure he realizes that without a full refund of the cost of the OS, details of the pirated software they installed in your PC, plus screenshots, will be filed with the Better Business Bureau and the Business Software Alliance.

Then, if you get your money back, ideally, file these anyway.

This is unbelieveble he actually did that, you can get second hand windows 10 licence key for 10 euro/usd which will work just fine 99% of the time. This guy could of pocketed 140 out of 150$ usd and customer probably would of not even noticed but instead went for this crap, cant beleive it :D

Theres noway this can be real.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
This is unbelieveble he actually did that, you can get second hand windows 10 licence key for 10 euro/usd which will work just fine 99% of the time. This guy could of pocketed 140 out of 150$ usd and customer probably would of not even noticed but instead went for this crap, cant beleive it :D

Theres noway this can be real.

Happens all the time. Generally speaking 90% of people that take their computers to repair shops are completely ignorant, so they get away with this stuff with most people.

CParsons

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
You can also report them to NoPiracy.org if you wish. If it's a company, chances are they have done it a number of times.

Wolfshadw

Titan
He charged $150 for the new Windows 10 Pro edition key/install.
Unless you have something in writing which states that you will receive a new Windows 10 Pro license (not just an install), you're out of luck. The guy can just as easily say, "No. I charge $150 to install Windows. An actual license is going to be $140 more."

-Wolf sends

CParsons

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Unless you have something in writing which states that you will receive a new Windows 10 Pro license (not just an install), you're out of luck. The guy can just as easily say, "No. I charge $150 to install Windows. An actual license is going to be $140 more."

-Wolf sends

He could say that, but the long and short of it is either way, he installed a pirated key. Granted, legal threats probably won't amount to much and the chance of getting the money back is pretty slim whichever route ia taken. As much as I don't agree with it, OP is likely going to have to eat the cost and get the install done somewhere reputable for a new cost or take the time to learn the procedure with the help of us here.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If your computer had a previous and valid Windows key, and particularly if it's a laptop you should have some manner of documentation or a backup/restore to go back to the OEM install and license.

Absolutely should follow up with reporting this and posting anywhere and everywhere you can that other locals would be aware of this, assuming all is as presented. @Wolfshadw makes a valid point in his post.