Question Scammy Website or Clean?

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
How should I go about trying to decipher if a website is a scam or can be trusted? When I Google "Is website_url legit?" Mostly all of the returns suggest its a scam. The website in question is selling everyday e-Comm products. Liquidated or store returns type stuff. The domain is .store and its "HTTPS", so Im kinda confused on what to think. When I use Google Transparency Report and VirusTotal URL, both return as the website being clean and nothing triggering or getting flagged.

The products arent so cheap in which that alone could/should raise suspicion, but obviously I try to be as cautious as possible when it comes to transactions made online.

Thanks for any advice & info

D

Deleted member 362816

What is the website. I can make a call quick and let you know if it's legit or not via my VISA merchant connection. See if they have a ton of charge backs etc. Most of those fly by night sites are usually a scam.

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
  1. ScamAdvisor - https://www.scamadviser.com/
  2. TrustPilot - https://www.trustpilot.com/
  3. Ask here. Post the website, and some very experienced people will look.
  4. Look at their whois info.
  5. Look at their About Me link. Google their "corporate HQ" location.
Thanks for those. I should've added, I tried emailing from their "Contact Us' , which that failed. "Temporary Problem Delivering Your Message..."

Says they're located in MA.

USAFRet

Titan
Says they're located in MA.
1. A private residence, at the end of the road.

2. Multiple disparate items, all at exactly the same ridiculous price.
Bose B2 Bass module, Concrete vibrator, Canon Camcorder, full susp mountain bike, etc,e etc...all at $75.65.

3. From ICANN lookup:
Created a week ago, June 15 2022.

4. In their company info, many typos. "Dcma" ? Really...lol

Just one of a zillion identical scam sites that pop up.
Send them no money...ignore completely.

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
1. A private residence, at the end of the road.

2. Multiple disparate items, all at exactly the same ridiculous price.
Bose B2 Bass module, Concrete vibrator, Canon Camcorder, full susp mountain bike, etc,e etc...all at $75.65.

3. From ICANN lookup:
Created a week ago, June 15 2022.

4. In their company info, many typos. "Dcma" ? Really...lol

Just one of a zillion identical scam sites that pop up.
Send them no money...ignore completely.

How does a scam website get clean returns from various trusted websites who's sole purpose of existence is doing what it apparently sucks at? lol

I dont doubt its a scam nor am I surprised, but what is surprising is how or why they go undetected from these check sites

USAFRet

Titan
How does a scam website get clean returns from various trusted websites who's sole purpose of existence is doing what it apparently sucks at? lol

I dont doubt its a scam nor am I surprised, but what is surprising is how or why they go undetected from these check sites
Because its not been around long enough to gather complaints?
ScamAdviser does warn about "This website is (very) young. "

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
If something appears to be too good to be true and you can rest assured that it’s a scam

Use your brain above all else.
Its not too good to be true though. At least not to the point where it would scream "SCAM". The prices for some of the products are only $15-$25 less than you would find at other known vendors/retailers. If the merchandise was like 70%+ off retail value, yea I could use my better judgement.

I was just looking for opinions on how you guys go about questionable websites and your process in making a good decision/judgement call and I received that, so thank you all who commented.