muc0n

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2002
Almost everytime I shut down my computer when i turn it back on it says it was not properly shutdown and runs scandisk. I think my computer turns off before my hard drive has time to shut itself down. I pretty sure i remember reading somewhere how you can increase the time it takes for the computer to shutdown to give your hard drive time to turn itself off. Is this true if so how do i go about doing this? Thanks for any help.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
do you have an AT ps or an ATX?
and how do you shut down your pc? like exactly what do you do?

<font color=blue><b>Respect this man: <font color=red>Fredi</font color=red>
He is the one who beholds the power to "sig changing"

muc0n

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2002
About the AT ps or ATX im not sure i think it is ATX. To shut down my computer i got to start shutdown and then click ok.

You could re-install your OS over the current config. It will fix any probs, hopefully. Aside from changing desktop stuff and a few extra icons & shortcuts, it shouldn't mess too much.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
I remember a patch for Windows ME (or was it 98SE? I think it was ME...) that solved a problem like this by allowing some extra time for the HD when shutting down. I remember downloading and installing it from Windows Update and after installation, there was an added delay between the completion of the shut down process and the HD spin down. Only then the system turned off.

muc0n

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2002
Thanks, that is what i was looking for. I remembered seeing a post about it somewhere but couldnt remember exactly what it was.