scandisk & msdos over 66 character filenames

My scandisk finds some long filenames and reports the over 66 character
error. I don't want to move the folders around because it looks like
sub-folders installed by various softwares.
Is this a serious error, or am I safe to ignore it?

"Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in news:#W7wivPvFHA.664
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> My scandisk finds some long filenames and reports the over 66 character
> error. I don't want to move the folders around because it looks like
> sub-folders installed by various softwares.
> Is this a serious error, or am I safe to ignore it?

You can safely ignore it. It's only an issue when you want to access those
files from pure dos.

In addition to what Ingeborg stated, can you tell us what folders in particular it
is reporting? In the case of Macromedia Flash folders, the sub-folders can be
deleted from Windows Explorer prior to Scandisk. Other programs can be uninstalled
and then reinstalled with shorter folder names in their path.

Another thing that *might* help is to open Scandisk, click the Advanced button, and
make sure the box for "Report MS-DOS Mode name-length errors" is NOT checked.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm