Scandisk not included in Windows 2000 anymore?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

In Windows version prior to Windows 2000, the utility scandisk was always
included to check the Hard disk for bad sectors and marked them out not
usuable. That was good. But in Windows 2000 and later version, this
intelligence has been taken out, and if a Hard disk have a bad sector,
normally windows would crash. And also I cannot check for bad sector. Why
was this intelligence taken out???
And now what is the best way to check a hard disk for bad sectors and marked
them out???Thanks.

"Joe M" <joematminemandotcom> wrote in message
> In Windows version prior to Windows 2000, the utility scandisk was always
> included to check the Hard disk for bad sectors and marked them out not
> usuable. That was good. But in Windows 2000 and later version, this
> intelligence has been taken out, and if a Hard disk have a bad sector,
> normally windows would crash. And also I cannot check for bad sector. Why
> was this intelligence taken out???
> And now what is the best way to check a hard disk for bad sectors and
marked
> them out???Thanks.

I tried this little experiment:
- Click Start / Help
- Click the Search tab
- Type Bad sectors
(the subject of your complaint)

I was pleasantly surprised that the subject is covered in
detail. Try it for yourself!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

Even though Chkdsk.exe and error checking does the job, but it does not show
a graphical presentation/mapping of the HDD drive sectors while scanning.
Like the GUI scandisk interface of Scandisk.exe in pre Windows 2000.
How is it possible for me to see a graphical/mapping presentation of the HDD
while scanning????

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Joe M" <joematminemandotcom> wrote in message
> > In Windows version prior to Windows 2000, the utility scandisk was
always
> > included to check the Hard disk for bad sectors and marked them out not
> > usuable. That was good. But in Windows 2000 and later version, this
> > intelligence has been taken out, and if a Hard disk have a bad sector,
> > normally windows would crash. And also I cannot check for bad sector.
Why
> > was this intelligence taken out???
> > And now what is the best way to check a hard disk for bad sectors and
> marked
> > them out???Thanks.
>
> I tried this little experiment:
> - Click Start / Help
> - Click the Search tab
> - Type Bad sectors
> (the subject of your complaint)
>
> I was pleasantly surprised that the subject is covered in
> detail. Try it for yourself!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

If you insist on the pretty picture then you need to invest
in some third-party product. Check Google for "scandisk"
"Windows 2000".