jeff

Does scandisk keep a copy of its scan results or corrections somewhere?

When I last rebooted my XP -SP2 system, scandisk went on for the C: drive. I
believe it said it deleted something but it went too fast. I looked for a
chk000 somewhere but could not find any. Is there a way to find out what it
deleted?

Jeff
--

Jeff Williams
Jeff@who_knows.com

Log File: You can use ScanDisk to store a history of ScanDisk events in a
log file named Scandisk.log. If you want to replace the Scandisk.log file
each time ScanDisk is used, click Replace Log. If you want to save
information in the Scandisk.log file each time ScanDisk is used, click
Append To Log. The Scandisk.log file is stored in the root folder of your
hard disk. You can view the Scandisk.log file with any text editor (such as
Notepad). If you do not want ScanDisk to create a log file, click No Log.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186365

Hope this helps
-Jeff

Jeff wrote:

> Does scandisk keep a copy of its scan results or corrections somewhere?
>
> When I last rebooted my XP -SP2 system, scandisk went on for the C: drive. I
> believe it said it deleted something but it went too fast. I looked for a
> chk000 somewhere but could not find any. Is there a way to find out what it
> deleted?
>
> Jeff

There is no Scandisk in XP. Use CHKDSK from a command prompt. For a list
of options do CHKDSK /? from a command prompt.

For CHKDSK results, right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer and
read Winlogon entries in the Application events.

Steve

Jeff Cole wrote:

> Log File: You can use ScanDisk to store a history of ScanDisk events in a
> log file named Scandisk.log. If you want to replace the Scandisk.log file
> each time ScanDisk is used, click Replace Log. If you want to save
> information in the Scandisk.log file each time ScanDisk is used, click
> Append To Log. The Scandisk.log file is stored in the root folder of your
> hard disk. You can view the Scandisk.log file with any text editor (such as
> Notepad). If you do not want ScanDisk to create a log file, click No Log.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186365
>
> Hope this helps
> -Jeff

It's for Win98/ME, not XP. There is no Scandisk in XP.

Steve

> "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
>
>>Does scandisk keep a copy of its scan results or corrections somewhere?
>>
>>When I last rebooted my XP -SP2 system, scandisk went on for the C: drive.
>>I believe it said it deleted something but it went too fast. I looked for
>>a chk000 somewhere but could not find any. Is there a way to find out
>>what it deleted?
>>
>>Jeff
>>--
>>
>>Jeff Williams
>>Jeff@who_knows.com

jeff

"Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
> Jeff wrote:
>
>> Does scandisk keep a copy of its scan results or corrections somewhere?
>>
>> When I last rebooted my XP -SP2 system, scandisk went on for the C:
>> drive. I believe it said it deleted something but it went too fast. I
>> looked for a chk000 somewhere but could not find any. Is there a way to
>> find out what it deleted?
>>
>> Jeff
>
> There is no Scandisk in XP. Use CHKDSK from a command prompt. For a list
> of options do CHKDSK /? from a command prompt.
>
> For CHKDSK results, right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer and read
> Winlogon entries in the Application events.
>
> Steve

My Application events does not contain anything listed as winlogon entries

Since it is chkdsk in XP if I do not find any chk00x files does it mean it
did not delete anything?

Jeff

Jeff wrote:
> "Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
>
>>Jeff wrote:
>>

>>>Does scandisk keep a copy of its scan results or corrections somewhere?
>>>
>>>When I last rebooted my XP -SP2 system, scandisk went on for the C:
>>>drive. I believe it said it deleted something but it went too fast. I
>>>looked for a chk000 somewhere but could not find any. Is there a way to
>>>find out what it deleted?
>>>
>>>Jeff
>>
>>There is no Scandisk in XP. Use CHKDSK from a command prompt. For a list
>>of options do CHKDSK /? from a command prompt.
>>
>>For CHKDSK results, right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer and read
>>Winlogon entries in the Application events.
>>
>>Steve
>

> My Application events does not contain anything listed as winlogon entries

Then CHKDSK was not run with switches to fix errors.

> Since it is chkdsk in XP if I do not find any chk00x files does it mean it
> did not delete anything?
>
> Jeff

If you didn't run it to fix errors then it did nothing. Chk# files are
the result of CHKDSK /F correcting file allocation problems when data is
found on disk that cannot be associated with a valid file (aka lost
clusters). This is fairly rare in NTFS, but not so rare in FAT file systems.

Steve