scanjet 3400c update help needed

I have bought myself a new computer, running on windows xp. My old scanner
which is a hp scanjet 3400c needed new software which I downloaded off of
the internet. I have put it on my computer but foolishly left my virus
scanner running now the software will not run. Hp have told me to delete it
off my computer turn my virus checker off and re-install their software and
turn my virus checker on afterwards. I have tried to delete the software
off but it won't let me. I get the message,

'cannot delete hpupdate.exe access is denied.
Make sure disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not
currently in use.'

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I do now to get rid of this download.

Thanks
Gwen

"Gwen & John" <gwenjohn@eastkent.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have bought myself a new computer, running on windows xp. My old
scanner
> which is a hp scanjet 3400c needed new software which I downloaded off of
> the internet. I have put it on my computer but foolishly left my virus
> scanner running now the software will not run. Hp have told me to delete
it
> off my computer turn my virus checker off and re-install their software
and
> turn my virus checker on afterwards. I have tried to delete the software
> off but it won't let me. I get the message,
>
> 'cannot delete hpupdate.exe access is denied.
> Make sure disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not
> currently in use.'
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what I do now to get rid of this
download.

> Thanks
> Gwen

Log on as administrator.

Start the Computer in Safe Mode and remove the HP software in the add remove
programs in control panel.

How to get into safe mode is found in Start>Help and Support. Search for
safe mode. Click "Start Windows in Safe mode". Print the instructions!

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Thanks for your help. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software as
you suggested. The computer cannot see the driver though. In the device
manager it just has a question mark and unknown device.

Any other ideas. Thanks again.

Gwen

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> "Gwen & John" <gwenjohn@eastkent.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I have bought myself a new computer, running on windows xp. My old
> scanner
> > which is a hp scanjet 3400c needed new software which I downloaded off
of
> > the internet. I have put it on my computer but foolishly left my virus
> > scanner running now the software will not run. Hp have told me to
delete
> it
> > off my computer turn my virus checker off and re-install their software
> and
> > turn my virus checker on afterwards. I have tried to delete the
software
> > off but it won't let me. I get the message,
> >
> > 'cannot delete hpupdate.exe access is denied.
> > Make sure disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not
> > currently in use.'
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas as to what I do now to get rid of this
> download.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Gwen
> >

> Log on as administrator.
>

> Start the Computer in Safe Mode and remove the HP software in the add
remove
> programs in control panel.
>
> How to get into safe mode is found in Start>Help and Support. Search for
> safe mode. Click "Start Windows in Safe mode". Print the instructions!
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Did you try deleting the unknown device in Device Manager and Rebooting to
see if the computer will load the correct driver?

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com