Scanner for dental x-rays. I need some advice, plaese!

Hi everybody!
I'm interested in bying a scanner for digitizing intraoral dental x-rays
(dimensions: 40mm x 30mm). Normally a film/slide scanner would do the
job, however the dimensions of an intraoral film are slightly bigger
than those of slide (35mm, right?). If it were not for this, I would
have already bought a microtek filmscan 2700 which is cheap, compact
(very important for a dental office) and seems efficient.

How can I surpass the problem of dimensions, without having to invest in
really expensive scanners?
(Please, avoid to inform me about indirect ways of digitizing x-rays,
such as capturing with a digital camera by means of the light-box. I
know all about, it is not functional)

I thank you in advance.

Costas Soros, DDS.

"Costas Soros" <csoros@dent.auth.gr> wrote in message
> Hi everybody!
> I'm interested in bying a scanner for digitizing intraoral dental x-rays
> (dimensions: 40mm x 30mm). Normally a film/slide scanner would do the job,
> however the dimensions of an intraoral film are slightly bigger than those
> of slide (35mm, right?). If it were not for this, I would have already
> bought a microtek filmscan 2700 which is cheap, compact (very important
> for a dental office) and seems efficient.
>
> How can I surpass the problem of dimensions, without having to invest in
> really expensive scanners?
> (Please, avoid to inform me about indirect ways of digitizing x-rays, such
> as capturing with a digital camera by means of the light-box. I know all
> about, it is not functional)
>
> I thank you in advance.
>
> Costas Soros, DDS.

A medium format film scanner or a flatbed with transparency adapter with
2.25 X 2.25 inch capacity will do the job.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:23:45 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>"Costas Soros" <csoros@dent.auth.gr> wrote in message
>> Hi everybody!
>> I'm interested in bying a scanner for digitizing intraoral dental x-rays
>> (dimensions: 40mm x 30mm). Normally a film/slide scanner would do the job,
>> however the dimensions of an intraoral film are slightly bigger than those
>> of slide (35mm, right?). If it were not for this, I would have already
>> bought a microtek filmscan 2700 which is cheap, compact (very important
>> for a dental office) and seems efficient.
>>
>> How can I surpass the problem of dimensions, without having to invest in
>> really expensive scanners?
>> (Please, avoid to inform me about indirect ways of digitizing x-rays, such
>> as capturing with a digital camera by means of the light-box. I know all
>> about, it is not functional)
>>
>> I thank you in advance.
>>
>> Costas Soros, DDS.
>>
>A medium format film scanner or a flatbed with transparency adapter with
>2.25 X 2.25 inch capacity will do the job.
>
>--
>CSM1

In the absence of a transparency adapter, would not a simple piece of
white paper + a 1200dpi or 2400dpi flatbed also work?

MCheu

"MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:23:45 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Costas Soros" <csoros@dent.auth.gr> wrote in message
>>> Hi everybody!
>>> I'm interested in bying a scanner for digitizing intraoral dental
>>> x-rays
>>> (dimensions: 40mm x 30mm). >>> I thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> Costas Soros, DDS.
>>>
>>A medium format film scanner or a flatbed with transparency adapter
>>with
>>2.25 X 2.25 inch capacity will do the job.
>>
>>--
>>CSM1
>
> In the absence of a transparency adapter, would not a simple piece
> of
> white paper + a 1200dpi or 2400dpi flatbed also work?
>
> MCheu

I doubt that enough light would be reflected back from the paper. Most
would come from the surface of the film. After all, you need a light
emitting adapter to scan color negatives or slides on a flat-bed
scanner.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA