Scanner Problem Twain vs WIA

I purchased a Visioneer 9220 USB scanner. I am trying to install it along
with PaperPort Deluxe 9 Software. I can get the scanner to work fine using
One touch software but whenever I try to us Paperport I get the following
error. "unable to communicate with the twain device" I have tried using the
initwain.exe file, but it don't seem to work. How does one get a twain
device installed?

Dwburklo@nktelco.net

"Don Burklo" <Dwburklo@Nktelco.net> wrote in message news:<9Q1sc.4$R12.16086@news.uswest.net>...
> I purchased a Visioneer 9220 USB scanner. I am trying to install it along
> with PaperPort Deluxe 9 Software. I can get the scanner to work fine using
> One touch software but whenever I try to us Paperport I get the following
> error. "unable to communicate with the twain device" I have tried using the
> initwain.exe file, but it don't seem to work. How does one get a twain
> device installed?
>
> Dwburklo@nktelco.net

I am having the same difficulty wtih an epson perfection 1660 photo.
I have been communicating with the Scansoft support. They reinstall
the latest drivers with no change in the error message.

"casmerb" <burkejamest@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Don Burklo" <Dwburklo@Nktelco.net> wrote in message
> > I purchased a Visioneer 9220 USB scanner. I am trying to install it
along
> > with PaperPort Deluxe 9 Software. I can get the scanner to work fine
using
> > One touch software but whenever I try to us Paperport I get the
following
> > error. "unable to communicate with the twain device" I have tried using
the
> > initwain.exe file, but it don't seem to work. How does one get a twain
> > device installed?
> >
> > Dwburklo@nktelco.net
<snip>

See question number 8.
http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220_troubleshooting.asp

Have you been to the Visioneer Download site for your scanner?
http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220downloads.asp

Read the installation instructions.
http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_beginner.asp

http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_intermediate.asp

http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_expert.asp

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Yes, I have reviewed and tried the suggestions on these links. I can't seen
to get a twain driver installed with any of the suggestions I have been able
to find. The Scanport software states it will work with either driver, but
all It ever asks for is a twain device when scanning from Scanport. The
scanner will work through the One Touch software and I can scan into Word
and other Microsoft applications. Scanport seems to present the problem.

Do you have any other thoughts?

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> "casmerb" <burkejamest@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > "Don Burklo" <Dwburklo@Nktelco.net> wrote in message
> > > I purchased a Visioneer 9220 USB scanner. I am trying to install it
> along
> > > with PaperPort Deluxe 9 Software. I can get the scanner to work fine
> using
> > > One touch software but whenever I try to us Paperport I get the
> following
> > > error. "unable to communicate with the twain device" I have tried
using
> the
> > > initwain.exe file, but it don't seem to work. How does one get a
twain
> > > device installed?
> > >
> > > Dwburklo@nktelco.net
> <snip>
>
> See question number 8.
> http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220_troubleshooting.asp
>
> Have you been to the Visioneer Download site for your scanner?
> http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220downloads.asp
>
> Read the installation instructions.
> http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_beginner.asp
>
> http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_intermediate.asp
>
> http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_expert.asp
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Which software are you using, ScanPort or PaperPort?
Is this your software?
http://www.scansoft.com/paperport/deluxe/
Manual download.
http://support.scansoft.com/manuals/download.asp?ManualsSelect=PaperPort

What operating system are you using? Does you scanner show in Device
Manager?

I am not familiar with ScanPort Software, but does ScanPort give you a
choice in the scanner setup to use the manufactures Twain interface of the
scanner or the built in interface in ScanPort?

I Know that Omnipage software does in the scanner setup dialog (I think that
there is an "Advanced" button). Omnipage is Scansoft software.

Try the Scanner setup dialog again and choose the other option.

Copied form the above PDF manual.
Scan to the PaperPort desktop
PaperPort is designed to work with TWAIN- and WIA-compatible scanners.
Use the Scan pane to call up your scanner's program to bring images and
documents into PaperPort so that you can use PaperPort's features.
When the scan is complete, you will see your item on the PaperPort desktop.
PaperPort makes it easy to scan pages as separate items or as a multi-page
item.
If your scanner does not use a TWAIN or WIA device driver, use
the program that came with your scanner to scan items. Then, copy
or move the scanned items to PaperPort.

Refer to the PaperPort Help for more information about scanning.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> Yes, I have reviewed and tried the suggestions on these links. I can't
seen
> to get a twain driver installed with any of the suggestions I have been
able
> to find. The Scanport software states it will work with either driver, but
> all It ever asks for is a twain device when scanning from Scanport. The
> scanner will work through the One Touch software and I can scan into Word
> and other Microsoft applications. Scanport seems to present the problem.
>
> Do you have any other thoughts?
>

> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > "casmerb" <burkejamest@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > "Don Burklo" <Dwburklo@Nktelco.net> wrote in message
> > along
> > using
> > following
> using
> > the
> twain

> > <snip>
> >
> > See question number 8.
> > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220_troubleshooting.asp
> >
> > Have you been to the Visioneer Download site for your scanner?
> > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220downloads.asp
> >
> > Read the installation instructions.
> > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_beginner.asp
> >
> > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_intermediate.asp
> >
> > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_expert.asp
> >
> > --
> > CSM1
> > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> > --

Sorry for the error. I am using Paperport software, version 8 SE came with
my Visioneer 9220 USB scanner. I am running Windows XP PRO. I originally
installed Paperport V8 and was getting this error, I had purchased a upgrade
to Paperport V9 deluxe so I installed it with no change. I have downloaded
the latest One Touch software and drivers from the Visioneer web site and
installed them. I also downloaded and installed the Paperport patch from
Scansoft. I have tried the initwain.exe with no success. My only two
selections in Paperport are "visioneer Scan Manager Pro" & "WIA-Visioneer
9220 Scanner" and using either gives me the "Unable to communicate with the
twain device" error. I also don't have a "Select Source" under the file
dropdown.

I found one FAQ concerning "USB scanner has no TWAIN button in paperport or
the select source is grayed out". It stated there was a problem with the
DRVIDX.BIN file, I followed these instructions to resolve with no success. I
have also removed the device and Paperport and One Touch software from the
system and reinstalled with no change.

The scanner does appear in Device manger. My confusion lies in the fact I
had a Visioneer 8920 scanner and Paperport V9 Deluxe installed and
operating.

Thanks for any advice you may have,

Don Burklo