[SOLVED] Scanners and Resolution

Aug 22, 2019
I am having a very hard time working with resolution. I am trying to 'clean up' a scanned image with a small app I wrote in Python which works with each individual pixel value. I have a number of different monitors offering different resolutions from a 4K TV, an UHD laptop monitor, and a regular monitor that supports 1600 x 900 resolution. I have an Epson scanner that offers a drop down for DPI (up to about 8000). What I am trying to understand is how to increase the ppi of the scanned image without changing its dimensions - how to create a finer image. Is this a product of the scanner or the resolution of the monitor? If I had to buy a new scanner, what option value would I be looking for (resolution, ppi, etc)?

Thanks,
MattSA

Solution
DPI is dots per inch on printed material where as PPI is pixels per inch on a monitor. At 8000 DPI your image has far more pixels per inch than a 32" 4k monitor that is 137.68 ppi. Basically your image isn't changing dimensions, you are just increasing the size of the image to the point that the image has a higher resolution than the monitor.
DPI is dots per inch on printed material where as PPI is pixels per inch on a monitor. At 8000 DPI your image has far more pixels per inch than a 32" 4k monitor that is 137.68 ppi. Basically your image isn't changing dimensions, you are just increasing the size of the image to the point that the image has a higher resolution than the monitor.

Solution