[SOLVED] Scanning and repairing drive (A:)

mdemanuelh7

Prominent
May 16, 2018
When I turned on my PC today, it suddenly went to Scanning and repairing for my HDD; after 3hrs of wait, it's still stuck at 0%. My OS is in my SSD, I decided to unplug the HDD and restart and it worked fine. I then replugged my HDD and it went to scanning and repair again on the Gygabyte screen. No idea what to do.

Solution
Sounds like that hard drive is failing or is bad already. You should be able to hit a key to cancel the scan. Then install a disk check utility from the drive vendor support site and run that to scan the disk. It will likely come up with a bunch of errors. Replace the drive.
Sounds like that hard drive is failing or is bad already. You should be able to hit a key to cancel the scan. Then install a disk check utility from the drive vendor support site and run that to scan the disk. It will likely come up with a bunch of errors. Replace the drive.

Solution

mdemanuelh7

Prominent
May 16, 2018

How should I retrieve the files?

Remove it from the system and see if you can read the files using a USB enclosure. Or try booting of a Linux Live disk and see if you can copy the files out that way to a USB drive.

Next time keep backups of your files so you don't have to worry about this.