Question Scanning and repairing drive (C:) at Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey520

Honorable
Nov 7, 2015
Just randomly the other day I booted up my PC and on Windows 10 loading screen this message showed up “Scanning and repairing drive (C) This has never happened before. The last time I shut off my PC I did not do a force shut down as I always shut down my PC through the Start menu.

After researching I learned possibly something happened and maybe my PC didn’t fully shut down all programs correctly. I’m just starting to get concerned because it’s been almost 2 days now and my PC is still scanning my drive and not showing a percentage. Does it normally take this long? I believe my (C) drive is almost 800gb.

In case this process takes any longer, is there a way to bypass this scan? I wouldn’t want to do a force restart if it wasn’t safe and could potentially cause any serious damage.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welp, anytime you see that the OS is scanning and repairing the drive, it's either that the OS is corrupt or the drive that the OS is on is having a hiccup. Mind sharing the specs to your system? List your storage(s) as well. What version of Windows 10 are you working with?

On second thoughts, please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Mikey520

Honorable
Nov 7, 2015
Welp, anytime you see that the OS is scanning and repairing the drive, it's either that the OS is corrupt or the drive that the OS is on is having a hiccup. Mind sharing the specs to your system? List your storage(s) as well. What version of Windows 10 are you working with?

On second thoughts, please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

CPU: Intel i7 920
Motherboard: Intel x58 chipset
Ram: 12gb DDR3
Drive: HDD Drive (700 or 800gb)
GPU: GeForce 1060
PSU: 1000 watt
Chassis: Dell xps 730x
OS. Windows 10 Home

Last edited:
Just randomly the other day I booted up my PC and on Windows 10 loading screen this message showed up “Scanning and repairing drive (C) This has never happened before. The last time I shut off my PC I did not do a force shut down as I always shut down my PC through the Start menu.

After researching I learned possibly something happened and maybe my PC didn’t fully shut down all programs correctly. I’m just starting to get concerned because it’s been almost 2 days now and my PC is still scanning my drive and not showing a percentage. Does it normally take this long? I believe my (C) drive is almost 800gb.

In case this process takes any longer, is there a way to bypass this scan? I wouldn’t want to do a force restart if it wasn’t safe and could potentially cause any serious damage.
It would seem the scan is stuck.
Power down and unplug.
Reseat the disk data cable...both ends...and the power cable both ends if modular.
Power up and test.

Status
Not open for further replies.