Scanning and Repairing Drive, hibernation issues

Ameloma

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Something is going on with my PC or Windows 10. Just now I started my pc and before getting to windows, it performed "Scanning and Repairing Drive C:" which is my Windows drive, SSD. I don't think this has ever happened before.

Another thing that has now happened twice is a weird issue where I mouse and keyboard and other input devices stop working in Windows, thus I can't even login. Even old PS/2 port mouse did not work. Messing around in UEFI did not work. The only solution to the problem was booting unbuntu on USB stick and going through the rather difficult process of deleting hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys. I'm not fully sure which one fixes the problem but deleting all of them does fix it.

A program called ssdlife claims that the drive is healthy.

edit. Windows drive check or error check doesn't find any problems

I don't know what is going on or should I disable (how?) "Fast startup (aka: hiberboot, hybrid boot, or hybrid shutdown)"

For starters, I would like to know why does this "Scanning and Repairing Drive C:" happen. I only shut down my pc normally using Windows.

Solution
i use fast start up but not sleep. I see too many people have problems with sleep, and I wonder, if you not using PC for a while, just turn it off if sleep causes so many problems. I don;t use normal hibernate either, just the hybred one that comes with fast start up. even with an SSD start up seems faster with it. Whenever I restart it takes longer to start.

You might try a fresh install as it might make problem go away. Upgrades can have so many weird problems... guess with anniversary upgrade upon us, we shall see a bunch more again.

Ameloma

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Drivers are updated and it's not just USB, like I said it was also PS/2. These problems started some time after upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10. To me, it seems like something goes wrong with the shutdown process and maybe the hibernation somehow gets stuck or something.

The first time I had the problem with nothing working in Windows I tried a ton of things suggested in different forums and nothing helped at all. I booted Ubuntu USB stick and realized that mouse and keyboard worked there, like they did in UEFI. I wanted to copy my files but couldn't access the windows drive, Ubuntu claimed windows was on hibernation and thus it would be unsafe to access it.

After a lot of work, I managed to access it and after even more work, I managed to delete those files and boom, problem was fixed. I then thought that maybe I had pc LOCKED and on Hibernationand then accidentally shut the pc down or maybe pulled the plug or something (thunderstorm). I don't know if I actually did that.

However, this time I'm pretty sure I didn't lock my pc or use normal hibernation since I started to avoid using them.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i use fast start up but not sleep. I see too many people have problems with sleep, and I wonder, if you not using PC for a while, just turn it off if sleep causes so many problems. I don;t use normal hibernate either, just the hybred one that comes with fast start up. even with an SSD start up seems faster with it. Whenever I restart it takes longer to start.

You might try a fresh install as it might make problem go away. Upgrades can have so many weird problems... guess with anniversary upgrade upon us, we shall see a bunch more again.

Solution